The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) will hold its central working committee (CWC) on Tuesday (today) to elect the party's "interim" president, after the Supreme Court struck off a controversial amendment to the Elections Act, 2017 which allowed the party's former chief Nawaz Sharif to resume leadership of the party after being disqualified in the Panama Papers case in July a year ago.
While speaking to the media, Kaira said Shehbaz was on good terms with the bureaucracy but had been disrespectful towards PPP.
The CWC also elected the former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif as the "PML-N's Quaid for life".
Kaira's statement has come at a time when reports have surfaced of Shehbaz being made the president of PML-N, following the disqualification of Nawaz as the party head.
"However, the CWC will hold deliberations before electing the proposed member for the top party post", he said, adding that the CWC might also propose a candidate for the post of PML-N's Punjab president, if the younger Mr Sharif becomes the party head. However, he will not have any specific position in the party. Earlier, there were speculations by some circles that former prime minister might nominate his own wife Begum Kulsoom Nawaz for the coveted slot.
The move is likely to draw criticism from the Supreme Court that had disqualified him as the leader of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz.
Why Mayawati Doesn't Want To Go To Rajya Sabha? Tejashwi Yadav Answers
While the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is likely to increase its tally, it could still fall short of a majority. A senior Rajya Sabha member from Congress said, "In a state like Gujarat, BJP will lose a seat or two to us".
"It was hence decided that Shehbaz Sharif would be appointed as acting party president and Nawaz Sharif would give his younger brother certain tasks to test his mettle", the party leader said. Sharif criticized his disqualification by terming it a conspiracy against him.
Nawaz Sharif had picked Shehbaz Sharif as acting president of the party last day.
"PML-N elects Nawaz as its Quaid for life".
Shahbaz Sharif's selection as permanent president of the PML-N will be made during the General Council meeting on March 6.
Despite Nawaz Sharif's legal woes, the 68-year-old has maintained a tight grip on the party.
He was first elected as the PML-N president during exile in 2002, due to the registration of cases against Nawaz. PML (N) is still expected to emerge as the biggest party in Senate.
- Storm system brings flooding, freezing rain, snow to Midwest
- Shuswap winery toasts Alberta's decision to lift BC wine ban
- Woman held after vehicle strikes gates of The White House
- Everyone Is Talking About What Ronaldo Did With Benzema
- Champions League: Bayern Munich coach Heynckes hails poacher Muller's goal scoring ability
- Fernando Alonso excited by the McLaren MCL33
- Rosenstein alerted White House two weeks ago on Kushner clearance issues
- Australian Deputy Prime Minister Joyce's Resignation Prompts Twitter Uproar
- Myanmar burying the evidence
- Arjun Kapoor And Parineeti Chopra Begin Shooting For Namastey England