Police say Yevgeniy Vasilievich Bayraktar, 26, is being questioned after the severed head of an unidentified woman, 27, was found inside his vacation rental at Osaka's Higashinari Ward.
Police investigating the disappearance of a Hyogo Prefecture woman are searching for a large bag carried out of an apartment where an arrested American man allegedly held her captive, suspecting it may be connected to the case, investigative sources said.
The man has reportedly denied all the allegations against him.
Friends told police that the woman said she was going to meet an American she met online.
Yevgeniy Vasilievich Bayraktar, 26, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of abducting the 27-year-old woman. No clothing and personal articles were found with the remains, police said.
He is believed to have stayed in a number of condos rented to tourists since arriving in Japan.
7.5 magnitude quake strikes Papua New Guinea - USGS
Despite the huge magnitude, officials said there was no tsunami risk. USA seismologists said some casualties and damage were possible. Its depth was around 35 kilometres (22 miles), USGS said.
A surveillance video reportedly shows the woman walking with a man believed to be Bayraktar near Osaka's Morinomiya subway station. "It became impossible to locate the woman as the battery on her mobile phone went dead afterward", reported Asahi.com.
The New York man was staying in a dwelling that tourists use as cheap lodging.
The woman's mother contacted the police after she said she could not reach her daughter.
The young woman's family and co-workers grew concerned when she didn't show up for work. No clothes or any other belongings of the woman have yet been found.
She was last seen leaving work on February 15, the news site reported.
- Mexico Ferry Explosion: At Least 25 Injured As 'Fireball' Rips Through Ship
- TAPI to cater Pakistan's growing energy needs: PM
- Suspected militants attack Hurriyat leaders residence,cop injured
- Why Mayawati Doesn't Want To Go To Rajya Sabha? Tejashwi Yadav Answers
- McMaster's White House Exit May Be Near
- Warren Buffett says Republican tax cut 'delivered' $29bn to his company
- Rosenstein alerted White House two weeks ago on Kushner clearance issues
- 19-year-old boy martyred in unprovoked Indian firing along LoC
- Champions League: Bayern Munich coach Heynckes hails poacher Muller's goal scoring ability
- Australian Deputy Prime Minister Joyce's Resignation Prompts Twitter Uproar