A team comprising of six surgeons of Nair's Hospital in Mumbai have managed to operate on a 31 year old man's tumor and successfully remove it too.
Santlal Pal, a 31-year-old shopkeeper, had been carrying around a tumour weighing almost two kilos before the surgery on February 14.
A dailywage labourer with a head tumour measuring 30 cm x 30 cm x 20 cm - so large it seemed "like a head on top of another head" - was operated upon in Mumbai's BYL Nair Hospital on February 14. "After the investigation, we chose to perform the surgery [on February 14], which was extremely high-risk", said Dr Trimurti D Nadkarni, professor and head of neurosurgery, adding that such large tumours are rare and a surgical challenge. "The weight of a similar case reported earlier was 1.4 kgs", he said.
The world's largest brain tumor, weighing a staggering 4.12 pounds, has been successfully removed by a team of surgeons in India. The patient has recovered well and is on a full diet.
Nadkarni continued to say that Pal is doing well after the surgery, and feels "relieved".
Mr Pal, a shopkeeper from the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, had watched the tumour grow for three years. "In a month, it grew over an inch", his brother Akhilesh Pal said.
Sony teases its next Xperia phones ahead of MWC
Aside from being rumors, bear in mind that these prices are also unlike to marry up exactly with the final U.S. pricing. The Xperia XZ2 will be priced at €799 (about $1254 AUD), while the XZ2 Compact will be priced at €599 (about $940AUD).
He had been to three hospitals in Uttar Pradesh before the procedure in Mumbai but the doctors in those places had termed the tumor untreatable. He had also gone blind as a result of the tumour.
Leading up to surgery, scans revealed the tumor had invaded the brain on both sides of the midline through his skull bone.
Dr Nadkarni added: "Such large tumours are rare and are a surgical challenge".
Doctors are now waiting to see whether Pal will regain his eyesight.
During the surgery, he required 11 units of blood transfusion and post-operation, he was put on ventilation support for three days.
But the procedure was not made public as doctors were not sure until now if it had been successful. "We are praying that he regains his vision", his wife Manju said.
- Low-carb and low-fat diets face off in new Stanford study
- Bring back Nirav Modi: Rahul to PM
- Nawaz Sharif can not lead his political party, rules Pakistan's Supreme Court
- Why has Delhi chief secretary not been arrested — AAP questions
- Mueller reportedly crossing Trump 'red line,' investigating Kushner's business dealings
- Dallas Mavericks' Workplace unsafe for female employees
- Air New Zealand cancels flights as South Island hit by storm
- Visitors pour into the Cove to pay respects to Rev. Billy Graham
- Drought over: US women win 1st Olympic cross-country medal - and it's gold
- AT&T Announces First 3 US Cities to Receive 5G Wireless