Tsvangirai's body arrived in the capital, Harare, on Friday and was taken to a military barracks where it will remain until Monday for public viewing.
AFP reports that Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa praised Tsvangirai as an outstanding political figure who had endured political hardship and deserved his place in history.
The President urged Zimbabweans to remain united ahead of elections due by July this year.
Tsvangirai's prominence across Africa as a veteran opposition leader was highlighted by the visit to Zimbabwe of Kenyan opposition leader Raila Odinga.
Addressing mourners at the former prime minister's Harare home Sunday, Mnangagwa said the government would pick up the tab for his treatment at the private Johannesburg clinic.
Measles cases rising in Europe
It is spread by coughing, sneezing, close personal contact, or direct contact with infected nose or throat secretions. Because of the poor quality of vaccines, many parents refused vaccination, which led to outbreaks.
Before being forced into a power-sharing deal with ZANU-PF as a prime minister, Tsvangirai was beaten up by police, his rallies were banned and he was charged with treason and jailed.
Tsvangirai pulled out of an election run-off in 2008 following violence which, he said, claimed the lives of at least 200 of his supporters.
The opposition party once posed the sternest challenge to former leader Mugabe and his ruling ZANU-PF party since the southern African nation's independence from white minority rule in 1980.
Fungai Nyapopoto, 40, a street vendor who travelled to pay his respects, said: "I am mourning our great hero, a man of the people. We will always remember him".
- Education Realty Trust (EDR) Receiving Somewhat Favorable News Coverage, Report Shows
- Gujarat civic poll tally: BJP 47 & Cong 16
- Horrible! Mobile police officer loses his life in shooting last night
- A mysterious supplement with a viral following has been linked to salmonella
- Fortnite Battle Royale: What's in the Season 3 Battle Pass
- Russian chiefs confirm curler tested positive
- Mueller reportedly crossing Trump 'red line,' investigating Kushner's business dealings
- Canadian PM meets Bollywood celebs, appreciates Shah Rukh Khan
- 'IDF will bring Hamas terrorists to justice for bomb attack'
- Indian state of Maharashtra to build operational hyperloop track