"Ultimately, we expect to reach theoretical peak speeds of multiple gigabits per second on devices through mobile 5G", the company wrote in a Wednesday blog post. I guess we will be able to live stream 4K 360 degree content from our smartphones!
The company has said it will announce additional cities in the coming months, while promising to add more 5G-capable mobile devices and smartphones from early 2019 onwards - on top of whatever the first devices are at launch this year.
The first recipients of AT&T's next-gen network include: Dallas, Texas; Waco, Texas; and Atlanta, Georgia.
The term 5G stands for 5th generation wireless broadband technology, which is expected to be faster and have better data capacity than current 4G networks.
Zimbabwe's president has clear road to election, few rivals
Fungai Nyapopoto, 40, a street vendor who travelled to pay his respects, said: "I am mourning our great hero , a man of the people.
AT&T has been testing 5G in Austin, Waco, Kalamazoo, Mich. and South Bend, Ind., to determine how the high-frequency millimeter waves perform in environments with different foliage, building materials and weather conditions.
In a press release, AT&T states "AT&T is the only USA carrier that's announced plans to deliver this ground-breaking technology to its customers in 2018".
AT&T said they are aggressively aiming to virtualize 75 percent of its network by 2020. But while 5G speeds will vary, depending on each carrier's respective network configurations, AT&T stressed in its announcement that its network will be based on '3GPP standards'.
AT&T Sr. Vice President Igal Elbaz said after the first phase, the company will be the first to deliver standards-based mobile 5G.
- Patrick Brown's PC leadership bid could lead to 'political fratricide,' experts say
- Horrible! Mobile police officer loses his life in shooting last night
- Russian chiefs confirm curler tested positive
- Measles cases rising in Europe
- Venezuela says launch of 'petro' cryptocurrency raised $735 million
- Mueller reportedly crossing Trump 'red line,' investigating Kushner's business dealings
- Sony teases its next Xperia phones ahead of MWC
- Why has Delhi chief secretary not been arrested — AAP questions
- Bring back Nirav Modi: Rahul to PM
- Metal Gear Survive Microtransactions Allow Players to "Increase the Productivity" of Units