Four regions - Nelson Tasman, Selywn and Westland on the South Island and New Plymouth on the North Island - are still in a state of emergency. It earlier caused extensive damage in Samoa and American Samoa.
Today The Country has a rural report straight from the horse's mouth as Jamie gets the inside information on how farmers are dealing with New Zealand's unpredictable weather patterns.
Some flights in and out of the capital Wellington and a number of other cities have been cancelled with authorities warning of heavy rain and gusts of up to 93mph.
Takaka is at the north end of South Island and is near Abel Tasman National Park, popular for its hiking and stunning beaches.
While the storm dumped considerable amounts of rain, there was no widespread flooding on the South Island's east coast.
Former Cyclone Gita hits New Zealand, emergency declared in Christchurch
In the wake of Cyclone Gita, the government of Tonga received a US$3.5 million payout from the Pacific Catastrophe Risk Insurance Company (PCRIC) based on its insurance cover against tropical cyclones.
A state of emergency has been declared for parts of New Zealand after the country was lashed by the remnants of former Cyclone Gita.
They also helped pump water from flooded homes in several regions and assisted with rescues and evacuations.
The severe weather had mostly eased on Wednesday morning, although eastern Otago was still experiencing persistent rain during Wednesday afternoon.
The storm will track southeast overnight on Wednesday (local time), moving out further into the South Pacific Ocean.
Officials searching for missing 11-year-old girl
Byrns and Alice were found shortly before 6 p.m.at a Holiday Inn Express and Suites near Macon, Georgia, deputies said. Posing as a young girl, he chatted with the girl and persuaded her to meet him near her home, police said.
- Israeli gas company signs £10 billion export deal with Egypt
- Gujarat civic poll tally: BJP 47 & Cong 16
- Indian state of Maharashtra to build operational hyperloop track
- Horrible! Mobile police officer loses his life in shooting last night
- Venezuela says launch of 'petro' cryptocurrency raised $735 million
- BJP opens new headquarters
- Ryan Donato Scores Twice as USA Beats Slovakia in Olympics Hockey 2018
- Purdue Gets a Gut Check Win Over Penn State 76-73
- Ex-Skadden Atty Pleads Guilty In Mueller Probe
- EA announces Burnout Paradise Remastered, coming to Xbox One next month