No candidate got majority in six seats.
The results for the Gujarat Municipal Poll trends will be declared for 75 Nagar Palikas (municipalities), two district panchayats, 17 talukas and 1400 village panchayats. Following the counting results, it Bharatiya Janata Party has claimed victory on 47 seats while Congress won only 16. The party ousts BJP by winning 27 out of 28 seats. The Congress had won 11, but lost five of them after its leaders defected to the saffron party.
The Congress, out of power in Gujarat since 1995, made the first comeback in 2015 by uprooting the BJP in the countryside in local body elections by winning 23 district panchayats against BJP's 6, and 124 taluka panchayats against BJP's 60.
The civic polls which took place on Saturday saw a voter turnout of 64.4 per cent and cover 28 districts of Gujarat.
Syria: Over 90 people killed outside Damascus
Medical organisations said at least four clinics and hospitals, including a maternity centre, were bombed, The Guardian reported. However, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said conditions in the enclave were being exaggerated by worldwide actors.
For the first time in over a decade, parties contested the local body polls on their party symbols. The BJP is now leading in 44 of the 75 municipalities for which elections were held. The Congress lost municipalities in 30 out of 41 Assembly segments.
BJP has so far won 1173 nagar palika seats while Congress has own just 617, according to The Financial Express. Congress received a setback in Amerli district, the stronghold of leader of opposition in 14th Gujarat legislative assembly Paresh Dhanani.
The takeaway for the Congress is that it has entered into double-figures in the municipalities after a much improved performance in the recent assembly elections. The BJP won three out of the four municipalities.
- Ryan Donato Scores Twice as USA Beats Slovakia in Olympics Hockey 2018
- Israeli gas company signs £10 billion export deal with Egypt
- BJP opens new headquarters
- Indian state of Maharashtra to build operational hyperloop track
- Officials searching for missing 11-year-old girl
- Purdue Gets a Gut Check Win Over Penn State 76-73
- Samsung Galaxy S9 to feature stereo speakers and 3D emoji
- Trump blames Obama - again - for not doing enough about Russian meddling
- Trump Endorses Romney For US Senate, But Does It Signal Détente?
- The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan to star in ABC pilot Whiskey Cavalier