As IDC points out, it leaves Google with "a tiny portion of the 1.5 billion market size" for smartphones overall. Google Hardware SVP Rick Osterloh referenced the Pixel's constant stock issues at the Pixel 2 launch, saying, "I just wish we had a few more of them to go around".
According to IDC, Google shipped 3.9 million Pixel smartphones previous year, which is not a whole lot when you consider just how many tens of million of units the big players ship in a single quarter. Apple shipped almost 14 million units in the company's first year, but that was ten years ago when there were fewer smartphones on the market.
Google debuted the Pixel, the search giant's first branded phone, in October 2016, and unveiled the second generation of the device exactly one year later.
While he didn't provide any concrete figures, Google CEO Sundar Pichai recently confirmed during the company's quarterly earnings call that Google has seen its device shipments more than double year-over-year.
Potters' penalty woes - Saturday's best Premier League stats
Spurs survived the scare - and such was their domination after the break that it would have been a travesty had Arsenal escaped Wembley, hosting a Premier League record attendance of 83,222, with a draw.
In comparison, according to IDC, Apple shipped a total of 215.8 million iPhones in 2017, equivalent to about 4.15 million units a week.
Google has high hopes for the Pixel line.
It also certainly does not help the Google Pixel's cause that there are certain problems associated with the Pixel and Pixel 2 smartphones, including microphone defects and touchscreen problems. The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL launched past year to no shortage of enthusiasm from Android fans, replacing handsets that had been equally lauded by vocal users. More countries, a better retail presence, and more carrier deals would be a good start.
- Hong Kong bus crash kills 18 and injures scores
- YouTube suspends ads from disgraced star Logan Paul's channels
- Korea's No. 2 at Games
- 'No doubt' Russian Federation will target 2018 U.S. elections: intelligence chief
- You Can Now Stream Live News from Apple's TV App
- Jos Buttler wants another crack at Australia in Trans-Tasman tri-series
- Newcastle beat Manchester United as Huddersfield win at last
- 'Mauricio Pochettino & Antonio Conte's next moves hinge on Real Madrid vs PSG'
- United States stance on Kurds unwise: Russian Federation
- US Won't Engage In Syrian Civil War - Mattis