Fisher said his wife, country music star Carrie Underwood, encouraged him to make a comeback.
Poile believes Fisher has some unfinished business and wants to help the Predators win two more games than they did past year when they lost the Stanley Cup Final in six games to Pittsburgh.
Fisher said at the start of the season that he was still navigating through a post-NHL life. But I know it just got stronger. "I feel like this year could be the year", said Fisher, who was seated next to president of hockey operations general manager David Poile and head coach Peter Laviolette.
Fisher took the ice on Wednesday morning at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, a first step toward rejoining the Preds as a top centerman. "And she's usually right. and people that I just had discussions with, watching their eyes light up and saying 'That'd be cool.' I had definitely the blessing from the family and they're all pretty excited", he continued.
"She wanted me to do it", Fisher said of playing again. The veteran player intends to begin skating and training on his own before joining the gold team for practices.
Three dead after helicopter crashes into California home
A helicopter crashed into a California home, killing at least three people Tuesday afternoon, authorities said. The aircraft struck the yard and wall of the home.
And make no mistake, there is no doubt that Fisher will be in shape at some point before the February 26 deadline. Even accounting for Fisher's lengthy absence, that's a group that's much more solid and far more experienced than the one Nashville rode to a Western Conference championship last season.
Fisher, who hails from Peterborough, Ont., amassed 276 goals and 585 points in his first 1,088 NHL regular-season games after breaking into the league in the 1999-2000 campaign with Ottawa, which drafted Fisher 44th overall in 1998. He is expected to sign a one-year contract to play the remainder of the season. "I didn't decide till recently, but I thought about the opportunity and how good this team is...and what could be". He's the fifth-leading goal-scorer in Predators history with 109.
Nashville has added centres Kyle Turris and Nick Bonino to their roster since Fisher last played.
But Fisher isn't coming back simply to be a warm body in the bottom six or a power play specialist, nor is that what the Predators are expecting.
- MLS Expected to Award David Beckham Miami Expansion Franchise at Last
- Russia's opposition chief Alexei Navalny held throughout day of protests
- After practice incident, Knicks exploring ways to part with Joakim Noah
- Trump Signs Order To Keep Prison At Guantanamo Bay Open
- NBA Roundup: Westbrook leads Thunder past 76ers
- What to know about the super blue blood moon
- Billie Lourd Reacts to Mother Carrie Fisher's Posthumous GRAMMY Win
- S. Korea wins USA sanctions exemption to fly its skiers to N
- Employee who issued missile alert actually thought Hawaii was beneath assault
- Facebook publishes privacy principles for first time