Navarro then came close to giving the hosts the lead in the 83rd minute with a dipping free-kick that forced an excellent save from Jasper Cillessen, before five minutes later setting up the goal that gave Espanyol their first win over Barcelona in almost nine years.
Lionel Messi is the most expected player in today's match and Barcelona is already securing a place in the semifinals in the first leg.
Luis Suarez was left out of the Barca line up, as Lionel Messi led the attack with Denis Suarez and Aleix Vidal.
15 minutes after the restart, Barca were on the verge of scoring the opener after Sergi Roberto was fouled by Esteban Granero in the box.
Messi and Arda Turan were both off target when well placed, while and Gerard Pique saw a goal correctly ruled out for offside.
Will Ferrell channels Ron Burgundy in hilarious interview with Roger Federer
And the World number one, Simona Halep fended off teenage wildcard Destanee Aiava to also advance to the second round od the competition.
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde is now very confident that his side can turn overturn a 1-0 deficit to Espanyol in the second leg of the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey.
"I liked my team a lot" he said. Espanyol sensed that and sat deep in the first half, making the visitors work hard for their chances.
"We had to lose one day".
Valverde said, "Our goalkeeper did not have to intervene in the game".
"We played with the same players in Vigo [against Celta] and I am happy with them", the coach said.
Barcelona suffered their first defeat of the season and it was Quique Sanchez Flores, the coach that Stoke wanted, who masterminded it. That he scores and signs the victory is fantastic.
- Bodycote PLC (BOY) Receives Consensus Rating of "Buy" from Analysts
- Chelsea approach West Ham about signing Andy Carroll on permanent deal
- Kidnappers Kill Two Policemen, Abduct Two Foreigners In Kaduna
- Russian Federation condemns Trump's threats to withdraw from Iran nuclear deal
- Controversial Serb politician killed in north Kosovo town of Mitrovica
- How Titans' firing of Mike Mularkey affects Giants' search for head coach
- Australian Open 2018: Venus Williams stunned in first round
- Joshua denies Parker drug claim ahead of unification fight
- United States stocks mixed going into the close as earlier rally fades
- Freedom House: Bulgaria is a Free Country, but the Media - Not Quite