Navarro then came close to giving the hosts the lead in the 83rd minute with a dipping free-kick that forced an excellent save from Jasper Cillessen, before five minutes later setting up the goal that gave Espanyol their first win over Barcelona in almost nine years.
Lionel Messi is the most expected player in today's match and Barcelona is already securing a place in the semifinals in the first leg.
Luis Suarez was left out of the Barca line up, as Lionel Messi led the attack with Denis Suarez and Aleix Vidal.
15 minutes after the restart, Barca were on the verge of scoring the opener after Sergi Roberto was fouled by Esteban Granero in the box.
Messi and Arda Turan were both off target when well placed, while and Gerard Pique saw a goal correctly ruled out for offside.
Pak now urges U.S. for better bilateral ties
Pakistan accuses India of using Afghan soil for carrying out hostile activities against it, a charge India has dismissed.
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde is now very confident that his side can turn overturn a 1-0 deficit to Espanyol in the second leg of the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey.
"I liked my team a lot" he said. Espanyol sensed that and sat deep in the first half, making the visitors work hard for their chances.
"We had to lose one day".
Valverde said, "Our goalkeeper did not have to intervene in the game".
"We played with the same players in Vigo [against Celta] and I am happy with them", the coach said.
Barcelona suffered their first defeat of the season and it was Quique Sanchez Flores, the coach that Stoke wanted, who masterminded it. That he scores and signs the victory is fantastic.
- Will Ferrell channels Ron Burgundy in hilarious interview with Roger Federer
- Honda Accord, Lincoln Navigator and Volvo XC60 Take top Honors at NAIAS
- Controversial Serb politician killed in north Kosovo town of Mitrovica
- Bodycote PLC (BOY) Receives Consensus Rating of "Buy" from Analysts
- Chelsea approach West Ham about signing Andy Carroll on permanent deal
- How Titans' firing of Mike Mularkey affects Giants' search for head coach
- Joshua denies Parker drug claim ahead of unification fight
- India will still believe they can make history despite Kohli's dismissal
- 10th Senate District win delights state Dems
- Freedom House: Bulgaria is a Free Country, but the Media - Not Quite