Previous year during the Australian Open, Kvitova was recovering from surgery to her left hand as a result of a knife attack from an assailant who broke into her home in Czech Republic in late 2016.
The Swiss great thrilled the centre court night crowd with an exquisite curving forehand down the line and past Bedene for another service break early in the final set.
Former world No 1 Angelique Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open victor, continued her resurgent run with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Anna-Lena Friedsam to extend her streak to 10 consecutive wins.
Djokovic - seeded an unfamiliar 14th - helped to set the tone with a 6-1 6-2 6-4 victory over America's Young, before denying speculation of a potential Australian Open boycott next year over the distribution of money generated by grand slam events.
I was thinking a lot about what happened at the tournament a year ago because it was my favourite tournament of the whole season. "I wanted to start with the right intensity, which I have, played flawless tennis in the first couple of sets".
Judge unseals search warrants in mass shooting in Las Vegas
Hours later, authorities located her in the Philippines and identified her as "a person of interest" in the shooting. Prosecutors didn't oppose the request for the records by media organizations, including The Associated Press.
Wawrinka a three-time Grand Slam victor had a mid-match wobble before eliminating Lithuanias Ricardas Berankis 6-3, 6-4, 2- 6, 7-6 (7/2) in 2hr 47min on Hisense Arena.
No. 13 Sam Querrey restored some order for the US men with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 win over Feliciano Lopez.
And the World number one, Simona Halep fended off teenage wildcard Destanee Aiava to also advance to the second round od the competition.
In the women's singles Eugenie Bouchard, Elena Vesnina, Madison Keys, Agnieszka Radwanska, Mirjana Lucic-Baroni and Barbora Strycova all reached the second round.
"It's always really cool to go up against the best in the world", Bouchard said. "I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed it".
- Pak now urges U.S. for better bilateral ties
- Steelers fans unload on offensive coordinator Todd Haley
- Led coalition helps to build new Syrian force, angering Turkey
- Mercedes reveals all-new G-Class
- Chelsea approach West Ham about signing Andy Carroll on permanent deal
- North Carolina woman killed her children, died jumping onto highway
- Australian Open 2018: Venus Williams stunned in first round
- Honda Accord, Lincoln Navigator and Volvo XC60 Take top Honors at NAIAS
- Israel says it destroys Hamas tunnel under key Gaza crossing
- Panic as plane skidded off runway and down a cliff in Turkey