Previous year during the Australian Open, Kvitova was recovering from surgery to her left hand as a result of a knife attack from an assailant who broke into her home in Czech Republic in late 2016.
The Swiss great thrilled the centre court night crowd with an exquisite curving forehand down the line and past Bedene for another service break early in the final set.
Former world No 1 Angelique Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open victor, continued her resurgent run with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Anna-Lena Friedsam to extend her streak to 10 consecutive wins.
Djokovic - seeded an unfamiliar 14th - helped to set the tone with a 6-1 6-2 6-4 victory over America's Young, before denying speculation of a potential Australian Open boycott next year over the distribution of money generated by grand slam events.
I was thinking a lot about what happened at the tournament a year ago because it was my favourite tournament of the whole season. "I wanted to start with the right intensity, which I have, played flawless tennis in the first couple of sets".
Espanyol coach Quique Sanchez Flores rejects Stoke
That was certainly good enough for the Espanyol faithful but it leaves Stoke back at their whiteboard. Keane is expected to be on his coaching ticket.
Wawrinka a three-time Grand Slam victor had a mid-match wobble before eliminating Lithuanias Ricardas Berankis 6-3, 6-4, 2- 6, 7-6 (7/2) in 2hr 47min on Hisense Arena.
No. 13 Sam Querrey restored some order for the US men with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 win over Feliciano Lopez.
And the World number one, Simona Halep fended off teenage wildcard Destanee Aiava to also advance to the second round od the competition.
In the women's singles Eugenie Bouchard, Elena Vesnina, Madison Keys, Agnieszka Radwanska, Mirjana Lucic-Baroni and Barbora Strycova all reached the second round.
"It's always really cool to go up against the best in the world", Bouchard said. "I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed it".
- Steelers fans unload on offensive coordinator Todd Haley
- Led coalition helps to build new Syrian force, angering Turkey
- Eliza Dushku accuses Joel Kramer of molestation
- Federal Judge Temporarily Blocks Trump's Decision to End DACA
- Judge unseals search warrants in mass shooting in Las Vegas
- UKIP suspends leader's girlfriend after Meghan Markle texts
- Brexit talks in danger as European Union gets tough on citizens' rights
- United States stocks mixed going into the close as earlier rally fades
- How Titans' firing of Mike Mularkey affects Giants' search for head coach
- Pak now urges U.S. for better bilateral ties