Peru is the world's No. 2 copper producer, although many mines in the south are located far inland from the quake's epicenter.
The magnitude was originally reported to be 7.3, but was revised down to 7.1.
The USGS initially calculated the quake's magnitude at 7.3 but later downgraded it to 7.1. The epicentre was 40km south-southwest of the small town of Acari in the Arequipa district.
Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski traveled to the region and flew over the quake zone. The natural disaster struck at 4:18 a.m. ET at a depth of 36.3 kilometres.
The organisation said villages "may have suffered direct damage and triggered landslides are always a risk". No tsunami has been detected and the threat of one has now passed.
Its epicenter was in the Pacific Ocean 40 km from the town of Acari.
Natural disaster hits Iran-Iraq border region, felt in Baghdad
At least 600 Iranians died in a 7.3-magnitude natural disaster that hit the Kermanshah province on November 12 past year . An natural disaster of the magnitude 4.1 on the Richter scale has jolted Iran's southeastern province of Kerman.
A US agency has issued a tsunami threat message for parts of Peru and Chile's coastlines after a powerful natural disaster.
A magnitude 7.1 natural disaster struck Peru Sunday morning, leaving at least one person dead and dozens injured.
The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the 4:18 a.m. temblor had a magnitude of 7.1, down from an earlier calculation of 7.3.
Peruvian maritime authorities said the quake did not produce a tsunami on the Peruvian coast.
This photo released by Andina Agency shows residents in Chala, Peru, Sunday, Jan. 14, 2018, after an quake struck the area.
- EPL: Leicester City coach, Puel reacts to Chilwell red card against Chelsea
- Israeli PM Netanyahu calls on Sushma Swaraj
- John Cena Reveals His Big Announcement
- Seal Don't Twist My Words, I Wasn't Attacking Oprah!!! But, Stacey Dash
- Bannon steps down from Breitbart News following White House furor
- No US unilateral anti-terror action; Pakistan assured
- Isaiah Thomas gets standing ovation from Celtics fans
- New Zealand take series, Sarfraz Ahmed slams 'batting flop'
- Parks and Recreation actor, Aziz Ansari, accused of sexual assault
- Winter returning with freezing rain in northern New England