Peru is the world's No. 2 copper producer, although many mines in the south are located far inland from the quake's epicenter.
The magnitude was originally reported to be 7.3, but was revised down to 7.1.
The USGS initially calculated the quake's magnitude at 7.3 but later downgraded it to 7.1. The epicentre was 40km south-southwest of the small town of Acari in the Arequipa district.
Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski traveled to the region and flew over the quake zone. The natural disaster struck at 4:18 a.m. ET at a depth of 36.3 kilometres.
The organisation said villages "may have suffered direct damage and triggered landslides are always a risk". No tsunami has been detected and the threat of one has now passed.
Its epicenter was in the Pacific Ocean 40 km from the town of Acari.
'I, Tonya' presents a sympathetic - and scathingly amusing - portrait of Tonya Harding
June 30, 1994: Harding is stripped of her 1994 national figure skating title and banned for life from the U.S. When it comes to Tonya herself, Robbie's performance is by necessity much harder to pin down.
A US agency has issued a tsunami threat message for parts of Peru and Chile's coastlines after a powerful natural disaster.
A magnitude 7.1 natural disaster struck Peru Sunday morning, leaving at least one person dead and dozens injured.
The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the 4:18 a.m. temblor had a magnitude of 7.1, down from an earlier calculation of 7.3.
Peruvian maritime authorities said the quake did not produce a tsunami on the Peruvian coast.
This photo released by Andina Agency shows residents in Chala, Peru, Sunday, Jan. 14, 2018, after an quake struck the area.
- Parks and Recreation actor, Aziz Ansari, accused of sexual assault
- John Cena Reveals His Big Announcement
- NYC Suing Fossil Fuel Companies
- Mainichi Calls for Abe to Attend PyeongChang Olympics
- Seal Don't Twist My Words, I Wasn't Attacking Oprah!!! But, Stacey Dash
- Focus on defence, security: Netanyahu begins India visit today
- Porn Malware Discovered in Google Play Game Apps, Some Aimed at Children
- New Zealand take series, Sarfraz Ahmed slams 'batting flop'
- EPL: Leicester City coach, Puel reacts to Chilwell red card against Chelsea
- Trump expected to extend sanctions relief to Iran