The comedian, who is the younger brother of actor Dick, passed away on Friday afternoon at his ranch in Texas, with his wife Shirley by his side.
Van Dyke's family confirmed his passing Friday to CBS Affiliate WCIA, in the actor's native IL. He kept with his stand up comedy career throughout school before joining the United States Air Force Tops In Blue in the 1950s. Van Dyke's career included the distinction of being Judy Garland's co-star on The Judy Garland Show, the late '60s series Accidental Family and the lead human role in the infamous sitcom My Mother the auto.
Jerry Van Dyke was the younger brother of Dick Van Dyke.
'Time travel' Hawaiian Airlines flight takes off in 2018, lands in 2017
The flight took off just after midnight from Auckland on January 1 before landing in Hawaii in the morning of December 31. Honolulu is 23 hours behind Auckland, thanks to the mid-Pacific location of the worldwide date line.
He is survived by wife Shirley and three children.
His wife told TMZ that his health deteriorated following a serious vehicle crash two years ago.
"I am incredibly sad to hear of Jerry's passing", said Nelson, Van Dyke's costar in Coach, the ABC sitcom that ran from 1989-97.
- What is a 'bomb cyclone' and what will happen when it arrives?
- Virginia ticket worth $1M in Mega Millions drawing Friday
- LaMelo, LiAngelo Ball Lithuanian jerseys now on sale at Amazon
- Congress says BJP's stance on triple talaq bill is not clear
- Maple Leafs defeat Sharks in six-round shootout
- Did North Korean missile hit a city near Pyongyang last April?
- Sony Xperia XA2, Xperia XA2 Ultra, Xperia L images and specifications leaked
- Pence defends Trump's tweets on N
- Sweden rejects United States call for UNSC session over Iran riots
- Justin Timberlake goes outside, announces new album 'Man Of The Woods'