The batteries were also sold separately for between $50 and $90.
The batteries in question were also sold as replacements for the HP ZBook Studio G4 mobile workstation or any of the above products, HP says. For the most part, HP notes the affected batteries are non-replaceble, which is a current trend among increasing thin and light laptops.
HP says they have received eight reports of battery packs overheating, melting, or charring. Three of those incidents resulted in property damage totaling $4,500, and in one instance a user suffered a "minor injury" from a first-degree burn to the hand. HP announced that it's recalling batteries for select laptop models, including some in the ProBook, Envy, and ZBook families. In some cases, that overheating could cause the batteries to become unstable and catch fire. If owners discover they're subject to the recall, HP will send them a free battery replacement and help them get it safely swapped out.
For extra safety, you also can also download this program, and check if your battery is impacted by the recall.
Sweden rejects United States call for UNSC session over Iran riots
Ambassador Nikki Haley has praised the anti-government demonstrators as fearless freedom-seekers who need the world's support. These protests were followed on Saturday and Wednesday by large demonstrations in support of the government.
In the meantime, HP recommends all users make sure their laptops have been switched in to "battery safe mode".
Critically, though, the modern obsession with thin-and-light - and, to be less generous, built-in obsolescence - means that numerous above models have internal batteries which are not user replaceable. "We are taking immediate action to address this issue including a voluntary recall and replacement of the batteries". It added, "HP's primary concern is for the safety of our customers".
Altogether, about 50,000 laptops sold are affected.
Why this matters: Battery recalls happen every so often, often due to manufacturing issue.
- Tennis player Grigor Dimitrov helps injured opponent to sideline
- Durant leads NBA All-Star vote, Curry first among guards
- Apple App Store harvested your cash on New Year's Day
- Did North Korean missile hit a city near Pyongyang last April?
- Storm Eleanor set to batter West Sussex
- Pence defends Trump's tweets on N
- Final "Game of Thrones" season will air in 2019
- Amazon Alexa will soon let users control ovens and microwaves
- CES 2018: LG to Debut and Showcase 4K UHD Projector
- 'Time travel' Hawaiian Airlines flight takes off in 2018, lands in 2017