Auston Matthews and Nazem Kadri scored, and Frederik Andersen made 33 saves for the Maple Leafs (24-16-2), who ended a three-game losing streak and defeated the Sharks at home for the first time since January 29, 2002.
Kadri managed to rip a large chunk of hair out of Thornton's beard as they were tangled up during the fight.
Joe Thornton's pre-playoff beard delivered bad karma halfway through the regular season.
"I ended up with a piece of it in my hand", Kadri said. "I felt like I just grabbed him in the middle of his jersey and just came down with a handful of his hair".
Leafs goalie Frederik Andersen, playing in his 100th game as a Leaf, stopped five of six Sharks in the shootout to overcome a giveaway in front of his net that led to Chris Tierney's game-tying goal in the second period. "They were great in the room (in the second intermission) and said right away to just forget about it and they would come to battle for me, which they did".
Fire rips through Bronx building, injuring at least 16, including children
Officials say over 200 firefighters have responded to the blaze at a four-storey building near the Bronx Zoo in Van Nest. FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said firefighters arrived in less than 4 minutes and helped rescue tenants.
"I thought we did lots of really good things", Toronto coach Mike Babcock said.
Dillon tied it with 52 seconds left in the first. "We're good with this team at picking up each other if someone makes a mistake".
Toronto snapped a three-game losing streak and a 10-game slid (0-8-2) against the Sharks. It was Kadri's first point since November 30.
Patrick Marleu evened the score with his old friends, winning the rematch against his former-team on home ice in a shootout.
"I had to stay patient", Kadri said.
The Maple Leafs opened the scoring with 1:23 left in the first the when Auston Matthews recorded his 18th of the season, redirecting a Connor Carrick point shot through Jones' five hole.
- Texas girls reported missing; Amber Alert issued
- Oil trades near strongest levels since mid-2015 on Iranian unrest
- Storm Eleanor set to batter West Sussex
- Wind Chills Drop Below Zero Again
- Amazon Alexa will soon let users control ovens and microwaves
- Women of Hollywood join forces to combat sexual harassment with Time's Up
- Durant leads NBA All-Star vote, Curry first among guards
- Did North Korean missile hit a city near Pyongyang last April?
- Delhi fogged up on New Year Day, flights, trains disrupted
- Sen. Hatch to retire, opening door for possible Romney run