Auston Matthews and Nazem Kadri scored, and Frederik Andersen made 33 saves for the Maple Leafs (24-16-2), who ended a three-game losing streak and defeated the Sharks at home for the first time since January 29, 2002.
Kadri managed to rip a large chunk of hair out of Thornton's beard as they were tangled up during the fight.
Joe Thornton's pre-playoff beard delivered bad karma halfway through the regular season.
"I ended up with a piece of it in my hand", Kadri said. "I felt like I just grabbed him in the middle of his jersey and just came down with a handful of his hair".
Leafs goalie Frederik Andersen, playing in his 100th game as a Leaf, stopped five of six Sharks in the shootout to overcome a giveaway in front of his net that led to Chris Tierney's game-tying goal in the second period. "They were great in the room (in the second intermission) and said right away to just forget about it and they would come to battle for me, which they did".
Women of Hollywood join forces to combat sexual harassment with Time's Up
You can read the full letter here and donate to the legal defense fund here. Tchen, former Chief of Staff to Michelle Obama .
"I thought we did lots of really good things", Toronto coach Mike Babcock said.
Dillon tied it with 52 seconds left in the first. "We're good with this team at picking up each other if someone makes a mistake".
Toronto snapped a three-game losing streak and a 10-game slid (0-8-2) against the Sharks. It was Kadri's first point since November 30.
Patrick Marleu evened the score with his old friends, winning the rematch against his former-team on home ice in a shootout.
"I had to stay patient", Kadri said.
The Maple Leafs opened the scoring with 1:23 left in the first the when Auston Matthews recorded his 18th of the season, redirecting a Connor Carrick point shot through Jones' five hole.
- Flu virus spreading in NY , prompting public-health alert
- Wind Chills Drop Below Zero Again
- Delhi fogged up on New Year Day, flights, trains disrupted
- Sen. Hatch to retire, opening door for possible Romney run
- Jon Gruden expected to become new head coach of Raiders
- Final "Game of Thrones" season will air in 2019
- When can you see the 'wolf moon' in New Orleans?
- LG to unveil 88-inch 8K OLED display at CES 2018
- Justin Timberlake goes outside, announces new album 'Man Of The Woods'
- Pregnant Khloe Kardashian announces baby name before birth