The eighth season of the fantasy epic, which follows a number of great houses warring for control of the Iron Thrones on the fictional continent of Westeros, will be the series' finale.
The executive producers are Benioff, Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger and Bernadette Caulfield. HBO said on Thursday that Benioff and Weiss will also direct the final season.
The news comes on the same day it emerged Game of Thrones writer George R.R. Martin has seen another of his books, Nightflyers, given the greenlight by Syfy in the U.S. and Netflix internationally.
The seventh season ended last August with an average of more than 30 million US viewers per episode across multiple platforms. Each episode costs a reported $15 million to make.
The hit sitcom "Game of Thrones" will now return in 2019 after a year's gap, say officials.
LG to unveil 88-inch 8K OLED display at CES 2018
The upside is that, while LCD panels have extra weight thanks to the backlighting units, the OLED equivalent is far lighter. Furthermore, the price of LG 8K OLED TV, though not officially announced, will sure not come cheap.
The news was largely welcomed by the entertainment press, with critics satisfied that the lay-off would mean a higher-quality final season.
Filming on the upcoming season began in October past year and will continue until mid-2018.
The series is HBO's biggest hit ever with some 30 million viewers in the United States alone and an army of devoted fans worldwide.
If you hoped 2018 would be better than the last - think again.
Showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss announced in 2016 it would finish with 13 episodes spread over a final two seasons.
- Women of Hollywood join forces to combat sexual harassment with Time's Up
- Eric Garner death: Activist daughter Erica dies aged 27
- Storm Eleanor set to batter West Sussex
- Harry Kane doubtful for Spurs' trip to Swansea due to illness
- Congress confused on triple talaq: Naqvi
- Sen. Hatch to retire, opening door for possible Romney run
- Jon Gruden expected to become new head coach of Raiders
- Plane with 12 believed aboard crashes in Costa Rica
- Justin Timberlake goes outside, announces new album 'Man Of The Woods'
- 'Time travel' Hawaiian Airlines flight takes off in 2018, lands in 2017