The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2017, which seeks to criminalise the practise of instant triple talaq is scheduled to be introduced in the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday. "The Triple Talaq Bill is one of them", Naqvi, who is the Minority Affairs Minister, told reporters in New Delhi.
Triple talaq bill was cleared by the Lok Sabha.
CPI leader D Raja on Tuesday said that the Left was in favour of the Triple Talaq Bill being referred to the Select Committee and accused the government of "bypassing the committees" on crucial bills.
The final call whether to send the bill to select committee or not will be taken at 4:00 p.m.in Business Advisory Committee.
He also said that the Congress did not press for amendment in the Lok Sabha.
Winston, Bucs stun Saints in season finale
The Buccaneers (4-11) scored on a pair of 1-yard runs, the first by Peyton Barber and the second by quarterback Jameis Winston . The half ended with the Saints up 14-13 and leading in total yards 233 to 125 as quarterback Brees was 7 of 13 for 86 yards.
However, owing to the lack of a majority of the government in the Rajya Sabha, there are chances that the Bill may be impeded or blocked. It was passed by the Lok Sabha on Thursday last week.
However, the BJP is confident of achieving its goal of passing the Bill. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has even issued a three-line whip for all its MPs to remain present in Parliament on January 2 and 3.
The opposition parties including Congress, SP, BSP, AIADMK, DMK, CPI, CPI (M), BJD want detailed deliberations on the criminality clause under which a Muslim man can be sentenced up to three-year imprisonment for abandoning his wife following Talaq-e-biddat or instant triple talaq.
It also wants some other changes in the bill, stating today that it would prefer a review of the proposed legislation by a parliamentary panel.
Sources said Ghulam Nabi Azad has convened a meeting of the leaders of his party and other parties in his Parliament chamber on Tuesday. The amendments to the bill moved by the opposition were also rejected.
- North Korea vows to bolster its nuclear capability
- Harry Kane doubtful for Spurs' trip to Swansea due to illness
- Special Weather Statement, Wind Chill Advisory issued for Ohio Co
- Pence's Aspen neighbors hang 'Make America Gay Again' sign
- Texas girls reported missing; Amber Alert issued
- LG to unveil 88-inch 8K OLED display at CES 2018
- Noon Year's Eve at the Discovery Center Today
- Passport System Down, Thousands Delayed At Airports Around The Country
- Numbers drawn for the $306 million Mega Millions jackpot
- Plane with 12 believed aboard crashes in Costa Rica