The attack, according to Interior Ministry statement, claimed the lives of seven people, including one police conscript when a gunman opened fire outside the church.
Coptic Christians in Egypt have been faced several attacks by extremist organisations.
"People were terrified and wanted to check on their families in other buildings of the church", she told The Associated Press by phone.
Nine were killed in total, including one policeman at the church, the ministry said. At least one senior officer was killed and two wounded in that attack, which pointed to an unusually high level of intelligence available to the militants.
NO TOKE! More pregnant California moms smoking pot
Along with advising against marijuana use, doctors have long advised pregnant women to avoid drinking alcohol during pregnancy. Some soon-to-be-moms are turning to marijuana to quell the uncomfortable side effects of pregnancy such as morning sickness.
Including the dead attacker, at least three people were involved in the terrorist squad. On Palm Sunday in April, terrorists staged an explosion in the main church of the city of Tanta, where about 30 people died.
No group immediately claims responsibility for the attack, the fourth to target Christians since December of the previous year, but it bears the hallmarks of the Islamic State group's local affiliate.
State television reported the second attacker was captured after fleeing the scene.
They announced plans to deploy rapid-reaction forces and electronic jamming equipment earlier this week to protect festivities around the New Year and Coptic Christmas on 7 January.
A bomb explodes in a Coptic Christian church in Alexandria as worshippers depart a midnight mass, killing more than 20 people.
- DTE Energy Workers Heading to Puerto Rice to Help Restore Power
- Roy Moore files complaint to block Alabama Senate result
- Snapchat may bring 'Stories' to the web
- Dirk Koetter will be Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach in 2018
- Wade Davis agrees to deal with Rockies
- Homeowners in High-Tax States Scramble to Pre-Pay Property Taxes
- Israeli Minister Wants To Name Western Wall Station After Trump
- Trump lashes out at Vanity Fair for backtracking on Hillary Clinton video
- Colder weather on the way
- Four found dead in possible homicide in Troy basement apartment