During the holiday season, there is a 40 percent drop in the amount of people donating blood and the cold weather is making those numbers even lower.
Around 900,000 people gave blood last year, but around 200,000 new blood donors are needed each year to maintain the numbers for life-saving blood donations.
"People in Pictou County are very generous and loyal and we appreciate their support", said MacDonald.
"We are pleased so many Canadians have stepped up to fill an open appointments to give blood and are confident others will join them by year-end or early in the New Year, " said Rick Prinzen, Canadian Blood Services' chief supply chain officer.
The Red Deer clinic is open 3 to 7 p.m. Tuesday to Thursday, 9 a.m.to 1 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
But because of strict screening regulations, the need for certified Arabic translators and gathering detailed information on donors' health backgrounds, Nammoura said the event had to be postponed for the new year, and limited to 50 refugees for now.
Arctic air will be here for the ball drop!
Highs Sunday through Tuesday will range from the mid 20s to around 30, and overnight lows will be in the single digits and teens. Far western areas did see some clearing skies Thursday afternoon and more of the Big Country can expect that into Friday .
Platelets are also collected but this poses a hard challenge because such donations only have a shelf life of seven days, notes the Canadian Blood Services. It's closed Sunday and Monday.
Anyone that wants to help "Pay it Forward' can visit the United Blood Services' office at 1503 Bertrand drive in Lafayette". Only seven per cent of Canadians are O-negative, he said.
It takes about two days for blood to be tested and prepared to send to patients in need.
Donors can make appointments at www.bloodhero.com or by calling 1-800-365-4450.
Canadian Blood Services manages the national supply of blood, blood products and stem cells, and related services for all the provinces and territories (excluding Quebec).
- Roy Moore files complaint to block Alabama Senate result
- Meghan Markle's father 'extremely hurt' by Prince Harry
- Israeli Minister Wants To Name Western Wall Station After Trump
- SoftBank Succeeds in Tender Offer for Large Stake in Uber
- Snapchat may bring 'Stories' to the web
- Dirk Koetter will be Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach in 2018
- Husband arrested in connection with woman's stairwell death in Brooklyn
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds hits a whopping 3 million concurrent players on Steam
- Wade Davis agrees to deal with Rockies
- Flu Season is Coming, Are You Ready?