Sources told PIX11 news that Wells and her husband had a history of domestic violence and that police were called to the home at least once before.
The body of 22-year-old Tonie Wells was found at the base of a stairwell in her Crown Heights, Brooklyn apartment Wednesday.
A pregnant mom was found dead Wednesday at the bottom of a basement staircase inside her Brooklyn home - and cops suspect her husband strangled her.
Wells' daughter was found on the basement steps of their brownstone by their neighbors who heard the crying child, according toNBC.
Officials say Wells was either pushed or fell down the stairs. She was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.
Homeowners in High-Tax States Scramble to Pre-Pay Property Taxes
The county was unable to accept those payments up until late last week because systems were down due a hacking earlier this month. The Chemung County Treasurer's office is reminding people that you may be able to pay your 2018 property taxes, before 2017 ends.
"We're conducting an internal investigation to look at the actions of those two officers and quite frankly everybody involved in the response to that incident", NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill said at an unrelated press conference on Thursday.
While officers were dispatched to the Wells' Crown Heights residence, they didn't even get out of their vehicle to check on the woman, law enforcement sources told the Post. Bruises were found on her neck, and her husband, Barry Wells, was arrested. It is not clear what day or time Tonie's sister called 911 or what, if anything, the officers observed when they drove to the home. "I'm still in shock", neighbor Michelle Ruiz told the New York Post.
The Daily News reported that Wells' body showed bruising on her neck, and WABC reported that a 29-year-old man had been arrested in connection with Wells' death but had not yet been charged. Police officials are also looking into whether the 911 dispatcher gave the officers complete information about the incident.
"An initial determination deemed this person's death to be suspicious and it is now being investigated", said deputy chief Michael Kempfer, according to CBS News.
- NO TOKE! More pregnant California moms smoking pot
- Flu Season is Coming, Are You Ready?
- British woman Laura Plummer jailed in Egypt for carrying painkillers
- Dossier a 'Crooked Hillary Piece of Garbage'
- Ukraine: Rebels and govt swap first prisoners under new deal
- Powerball and Mega Millions Over $300 Million
- The statistics behind another big shopping day, the day after Christmas
- Roy Moore files complaint to block Alabama Senate result
- Apple CEO gets salary raise after higher profits through iPhone sales
- UFC hopes to have Conor McGregor back summer 2018