Some soon-to-be-moms are turning to marijuana to quell the uncomfortable side effects of pregnancy such as morning sickness.
We investigated trends of prenatal marijuana use from 2009-2016 using data from a large California health care system with universal screening via self-report and urine toxicology.
Dr. Yasmin Heard, a neuroscientist and director of addiction treatment at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in Manhattan, says prenatal marijuana exposure can impact fetal development. The age ranges of the sample included females aged 12 to 17 years (1.4 percent), 18 to 24 years (15.8 percent), 25 to 34 years (61.6 percent), and more than 34 years (21.2 percent).
And with younger women, it appears mother tokes best.
One expert said the rise may be attributed to the increased availability of legal marijuana in recent years.
Chiefs Will Start QB Patrick Mahomes On Sunday
Despite a lack of playing time this season, Mahomes says that he's become a better player while serving in a backup role. Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Wednesday that the former Texas Tech star would start in Denver.
While only about 30 percent of the pregnant women in the study reported that they used marijuana in a survey, about 55 percent tested positive for it in a drug screen, though self-reporting did increase in line with use each year.
"Think about marijuana use from their perspective, especially in Northern California".
Barbara Yankey, a researcher at Georgia State University, told Reuters marijuana use may be on the rise because of the recent legalization of its recreational use "has made people think of the drug as less unsafe, even during pregnancy". It is now legal in 29 states and Washington, DC.
Marijuana use among pregnant women is on the rise, according to a new study.
Along with advising against marijuana use, doctors have long advised pregnant women to avoid drinking alcohol during pregnancy.
- United States sanctions two more North Korean officials over ballistic missile programme
- Of fashion and development: PM Narendra Modi heaps praise on Yogi Adityanath
- Odisha Celebrates Christmas with Joy and Fervour
- Library of Congress Says It Will No Longer Archive Every Public Tweet
- Steelers vs. Texans: 4 bold predictions sure to go wrong
- Woman hit with $284 billion electric bill
- Four found dead in possible homicide in Troy basement apartment
- Ukraine: Rebels and govt swap first prisoners under new deal
- Pregnant Kylie Jenner and Rob Kardashian Celebrate Christmas With Their Family
- First AC local train starts in Mumbai on the Borivali Churchgate route