Milder winds and cooler temperatures have helped firefighters the past couple of days.
The fire is the largest blaze in modern California history.
The blaze has already consumed over 1,000 structures as it crept across the parched coastal mountains and ravines of South California, crossing the Ventura and Santa Barbara counties just northwest of Los Angeles.
In an update Friday night, incident commanders said the Thomas Fire has blackened 273,400 acres, surpassing the previous record holder - the Cedar Fire, which charred 273,246 acres in San Diego County in 2003.
David Davis backtracks on threat to quit if Damian Green is sacked
Ms Maltby is not commenting on Mr Green's resignation until she receives more details from the Cabinet Office. The letter also said Mr Green, 61, "recognised" he made a female journalist "feel uncomfortable".
According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, or Cal Fire as it is also known, this late 2017 Thomas fire is now the largest wildfire on the books. During their time in California, the firefighters dug control lines and put out spot fires.
OR sent the largest out-of-state group of personnel to help combat the fire, which started on December 4.
"Those (other) fires burned for weeks and weeks and this fire is only a few weeks old", he said.
Fire officials estimate full containment by January 7, more than a month after the blaze first erupted in Ventura County. The blaze continued to threaten communities from Ventura to Montecito last week, when the last of the evacuation centers finally closed. Though no forward progress on the fire is expected, fire officials say fuels in the burn area remain "critically dry".
- LeBron James Talks About Enjoying Christmas Games At Staples Center
- First AC local train starts in Mumbai on the Borivali Churchgate route
- City gets its white Christmas after all
- Mariah Carey to Perform Again on 'Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve'
- Hat-trick hero Kane joins Shearer, chases Messi
- Jennifer Lawrence buys Kris Jenner a Porsche
- At least five dead after Moscow bus ploughs into underground walkway
- President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump's 2017 Christmas Message
- National Weather Service issues high wind advisory
- Jay Ajayi celebrated a TD by pretending to be Santa