Milder winds and cooler temperatures have helped firefighters the past couple of days.
The fire is the largest blaze in modern California history.
The blaze has already consumed over 1,000 structures as it crept across the parched coastal mountains and ravines of South California, crossing the Ventura and Santa Barbara counties just northwest of Los Angeles.
In an update Friday night, incident commanders said the Thomas Fire has blackened 273,400 acres, surpassing the previous record holder - the Cedar Fire, which charred 273,246 acres in San Diego County in 2003.
Liverpool's title race is run but we are improving, insists Jürgen Klopp
The Reds are still in fourth place, a point in front of Arsenal with 19 games played. We played too deep. "We of course deserved to win, we had more chances.
According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, or Cal Fire as it is also known, this late 2017 Thomas fire is now the largest wildfire on the books. During their time in California, the firefighters dug control lines and put out spot fires.
OR sent the largest out-of-state group of personnel to help combat the fire, which started on December 4.
"Those (other) fires burned for weeks and weeks and this fire is only a few weeks old", he said.
Fire officials estimate full containment by January 7, more than a month after the blaze first erupted in Ventura County. The blaze continued to threaten communities from Ventura to Montecito last week, when the last of the evacuation centers finally closed. Though no forward progress on the fire is expected, fire officials say fuels in the burn area remain "critically dry".
- Hat-trick hero Kane joins Shearer, chases Messi
- LeBron James Talks About Enjoying Christmas Games At Staples Center
- Father, daughters among 5 dead in United States plane crash
- At least four Indian soldiers killed in Kashmir border firing
- Dershowitz Lauds Haley: UN is a 'Place of Hate' for US, Israel
- City gets its white Christmas after all
- Queen hails terror-hit United Kingdom cities in Christmas Day message
- Kulbhushan Jadhav's Mother and wife to meet him in Pakistan today
- David Davis backtracks on threat to quit if Damian Green is sacked
- 'Russian spy' who worked as interpreter at Number 10 is arrested