The twin-engine Cessna 340 crashed shortly after takeoff Sunday morning at Bartow Municipal Airport, immediately killing the 70-year-old pilot and his four adult passengers, according to a statement from Polk County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Carrie Horstman.
Also killed on Sunday were two of Shannon's daughters, Olivia Shannon, 24, and Victoria Shannon Worthington, 26, as well as Worthington's husband, Peter Worthington, 27.
A prominent Lakeland lawyer, his daughters and other family members were killed Christmas Eve morning as their plane crashed amid heavy fog.
An airport employee who was filming the fog on a cellphone recorded the sounds of the plane taking off and crashing, Judd said.
Shannon's daughter Victoria and her husband Peter had just arrived in town on Saturday for the holidays, from Baltimore, where they live.
Olivia Shannon was a Southeastern University student.
"Our heart breaks", Judd said. Victoria was a school teacher in Baltimore, Maryland, and Peter was a law student at the University of Maryland, Judd said.
Krista Clayton was a local teacher at Jewett Academy.
City gets its white Christmas after all
Periods of snow and blowing snow will result in snow covered roads and limited visibilities. A light snow of around an inch or less fell in Wyandotte County overnight.
On his website, Shannon said he began practising law in 1975, and had focused on "personal injury and death" cases. The Republican ran for state representative in 2014, but lost in the primary to Colleen Burton, who still holds the office.
Shannon was making a 45- to 60-minute flight for day trip to the Florida Keys, the sheriff said.
"There was no chance of survival", Judd said.
He said that John Shannon, a former Marine, took both his legal practice and flying seriously.
The twin-engine plane was trying to take off from the airport in Bartow.
According to WFTS, Polk County Sheriff reported that the plane attempted to take off close to 7:15 A.M. Sheriff Judd said he reviewed video and, "no one should have taken off from this airport at 7:15 A.M". Shelton said the flight attendant was not injured. Authorities investigating the crash say it was very foggy around the Bartow Airbase early Sunday morning.
- Ukraine grateful for United States weapons, Russian Federation voices outrage
- Kulbhushan Jadhav's Mother and wife to meet him in Pakistan today
- First AC local train starts in Mumbai on the Borivali Churchgate route
- At least five dead after Moscow bus ploughs into underground walkway
- Jennifer Lawrence buys Kris Jenner a Porsche
- Odisha Celebrates Christmas with Joy and Fervour
- 'Russian spy' who worked as interpreter at Number 10 is arrested
- National Weather Service issues high wind advisory
- PM, Rahul's Gujarat temple visits pure votebank politics: Owaisi
- LeBron James Talks About Enjoying Christmas Games At Staples Center