Hours after the 49 women released their letter, the Miss America Organization announced that its board of directors had voted to suspend Haskell while it conducted an "in-depth investigation into alleged inappropriate communications".
The emails included one that used a vulgar term for female genitalia to refer to past Miss America winners, one that wished that a particular former Miss America had died and others that speculated about how many sex partners another former Miss America has had. He also mused about renaming Miss America winners "c-ts", as per the Hollywood Reporter.
The CEO of the Miss America organization, along with the COO and a board chair, have resigned after The Huffington Post published emails from them where they fat-shamed, slut-shamed, and even joked about the death of a former pageant victor.
Josh Randle, the president and COO of the Miss America Organization, has reportedly submitted his resignation amid an unfolding scandal involving the company's CEO.
Leaked emails show Haskell allowed or participated in discussions of former pageant winners where their sex lives and weight were derided; 2013 Miss America victor Mallory Hagan (pictured above, at the 2013 GLAAD Awards) received the lion's share of criticism.
Health officials: 6 Oklahomans have died from the flu this season
The Hill Country's off-again, on-again winter weather is the prime time to get influenza and be calling work to say you're sick. Other tips include washing your hands frequently, staying home when you are sick and avoiding touching your hands to your face.
Ms Shindle, who has written a book which is critical of the Miss America Organisation, said on Twitter that the content of the emails made her "physically ill".
But he nonetheless apologized to her on Saturday, saying the comment does not reflect his values or those of the organization.
The shakeup is the result of a Huffington Post on leaked emailed in which he discussed Miss America winners, the sex lives and their bodies using crude language - or was on emails where others were doing so. Dan Myers, the organization board's vice-chair will be taking over as interim chairman. That same former title holder, Mallory Hagan, also was ridiculed over a bathing suit photo in which she appeared to have gained weight from when she competed in and won the pageant.
Haskell said in a statement on Friday: "The story is so unkind and untrue, and hurts me, my family, and the stewardship of this nonprofit".
And New Jersey officials are reviewing their Miss America Organization contract, in which the state still owes $4 million toward the cost of next year's pageant.
- United Nations slaps new sanctions on North Korea
- South Florida scores late TD to outlast Texas Tech in Birmingham Bowl
- Royal Relative Accused of Donning Blackamoor Jewelry to Offend Meghan Markle
- Hat-trick hero Kane joins Shearer, chases Messi
- Arsene Wenger admits unpredictability of Liverpool rotation makes preparation "difficult"
- Cuban Leader Raúl Castro Will Stay In Power Past February
- Democrats push to renew Children's Health Insurance Program
- Liverpool's title race is run but we are improving, insists Jürgen Klopp
- Year old Sandhya Rani Burnt Alive By Former Colleague Who Stalked Her
- Saif, Kareena, Karisma celebrate Taimur's first birthday at Pataudi Palace