Mariah Carey has confirmed that she will return to Times Square in NY to ring in 2018.
This year, Carey takes another stab at it, hitting the stage at 11:45 p.m.
A visibly upset Carey said she was leaving but then stayed, with her back-up dancers still performing and the producers switching to an audio recording of her voice.
Following the show, Carey posted a meme of herself on social media with the message "s-- happens". The performance went viral for all the wrong reasons. But it also led to a public battle between her and Dick Clark Productions as to who was at fault, with Carey's team charging sabotage with technical glitches, including a faulty ear piece, and Dick Clark productions denying the claims and claiming she hadn't rehearsed enough.
Carey was allegedly the victim of a technical malfunction when she appeared on the big stage in 2016-2017, although her freaky off-camera demeanor made others question whether sound was the issue. So this year she's returning for a do-over and to show what she's really made of.
Miss America officials resign, 1 apologizes to ex-winner
But he nonetheless apologized to her on Saturday, saying the comment does not reflect his values or those of the organization. He also mused about renaming Miss America winners "c-ts", as per the Hollywood Reporter .
"We can all agree that a year ago didn't go exactly as planned and we are thrilled to move forward together to provide America with an incredible night of music and celebration on", Dick Clark Productions and Carey said in a joint statement.
Carey was also criticized for a performance she did during the 2014 "Christmas in Rockefeller Center" tree-lighting ceremony. "See you in Times Square!" said Carey in a statement.
"Last night's situation was beyond my control", she tweeted. Carey joins previously announced Times Square performers including chart-topping singer/songwriter Camila Cabello, multi-platinum singer/songwriter and actor Nick Jonas and award-winning duo Sugarland.
ABC's coverage starts at 8 p.m. December 31 and runs five and a half years.
- Liverpool's title race is run but we are improving, insists Jürgen Klopp
- Saif, Kareena, Karisma celebrate Taimur's first birthday at Pataudi Palace
- Apple sued after admitting to slowing down older iPhones
- Google celebrates the winter solstice with new Doodle
- Eating Green Vegetables Can Help Prevent Dementia
- The Corporate PR Machine Is Primed for Tax Cuts
- 'Russian spy' who worked as interpreter at Number 10 is arrested
- The 'Mamma Mia!' Sequel Trailer Teases New Music, a Pregnancy & ...No Meryl?
- Trump commutes sentence for local rabbi's father
- Canada's move as U.S. confirms hefty Bombardier trade duties