"December 21st marks the 2017 winter solstice, as well as the first day of winter on the astronomical calendar". The day is also referred to as the day the sun turns around. That's the home of the account's creator, web developer and npm CTO Laurie Voss.
This less direct sunlight casts a larger shadow on the earth, creating longer nights and shorter days. What really matters is that the account is one more little nudge to feel better during the long slog of winter.
If you live in the southernmost US, your earliest sunsets are in late November, according to EarthSky.org. At that moment, the sun will be directly over the Tropic of Capricorn, south of the equator, according to the U.S. National Weather Service.
On winter solstice, the Northern Hemisphere is leaning the most away from the sun meaning it receives the least amount of possible daylight hours and the longest night.
If you don't like the cold, here's a silver lining: Whatever the rest of winter brings, daylight is once again on the upswing.
The summer solstice will be giving those who live in the Southern Hemisphere more than 12 hours of daylight.
Canada's move as U.S. confirms hefty Bombardier trade duties
Bombardier calls Boeing's criticism unfounded, saying that the US company's entire case has been overtaken by events. Bombardier was able to underprice the jets due to $3 billion in unfair government subsidies, Boeing says.
Although the solstice marks the shortest day, it's usually not the coldest day of the year.
Exactly How Short Will The Day Be?If you're farther north, your earliest sunsets are around December 7. Our coldest time of the year is nearly a month later, around January 14 each year.
It just so happens that not all days are created equal - and of all the months, December is when we get the most value out of our days. Let us know how you'll celebrate sailing next June and share the anticipation for Summer Sailstice 2018 with sailors across the globe.
What does all of this have to do with Stonehenge?
Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland before sunrise, he said: "The sun rises at around 8.58am and for a period of about 17 minutes the shafts of the solstice sun gradually lights up the back of the chamber of the 5000-year-old passage tomb".
- The Corporate PR Machine Is Primed for Tax Cuts
- Al Franken will resign from the Senate on January 2
- Eating Green Vegetables Can Help Prevent Dementia
- Turkish FM to head to USA for United Nations vote on Jerusalem
- People With Egg Allergies Can Now Get The Traditional Flu Shot
- Royal Relative Accused of Donning Blackamoor Jewelry to Offend Meghan Markle
- Saif, Kareena, Karisma celebrate Taimur's first birthday at Pataudi Palace
- Facebook expands its use of facial recognition technology
- United Nations slaps new sanctions on North Korea
- Patchy fog expected through Monday morning, showers forecast for Tuesday