Nashville had been named among four finalists in the bid for a team, joining Cincinnati, Detroit, and Sacramento.
But, according to ESPN, Sacramento is further along in the stadium construction process and that has fans here hopeful.
"We are excited and optimistic about the future of soccer in Nashville", Barry said in a statement. However, on Tuesday the league announced it would make a "special announcement" in Nashville on Wednesday.
Nashville was back in the pack a year ago but gained momentum with a bid backed by billionaire John Ingram and the Wilf brothers, who own the NFL's Minnesota Vikings.
A second team in Southern California, Los Angeles FC, will begin play in 2018 at a new stadium next to the L.A. Coliseum, raising the number of teams to 23.
Enrique Iglesias and his girlfriend welcome twin babies
There comes a point when you've been with someone for a certain amount of time that I believe that you are like, married. Earlier this year, Enrique admitted his dad Julio still hadn't met Anna , saying: "They still haven't met, no".
Dan Gilbert and Tom Gores, both owners of National Basketball Association teams, this afternoon make their pitch in NY to bring Major League Soccer to Detroit. It is planning to soon invite a second city, with Cincinnati, Sacramento and Detroit in the running.
They and other local boosters, including Mayor Mike Duggan, are speaking to the league commissioner and expansion committee.
Falling into the consolation bracket, though, won't sooth the disappointment of Cincinnati or Sacramento fans if their city loses out.
Gores and Gilbert originally proposed a soccer stadium at the site of the unfinished Wayne County Jail, but now want to use Ford Field.
- Twitter Starts Banning Extremists Under New Rules, Which Exempt Trump
- BlackBerry Priv no longer receiving monthly updates
- Apple Airpods sold out before Christmas holidays
- Trump disputes report he was angry over Gorsuch comments
- QC Salvation Army is behind in Red Kettle campaign
- Miss Universe Iraq, Israel contestants' selfie draws death threats
- Facebook expands its use of facial recognition technology
- Jonghyun: Fans mourn death of SHINee K-pop star
- NFL Predictions: Will Falcons cover Spread vs. Bucs on MNF? 12/18/17
- Antoine Griezmann blasted by fans for dressing up as black basketball player