Drivers along Interstate 35 from Austin to San Marcos will notice a large presence of first responders Tuesday afternoon as they move fallen Officer Kenneth Copeland's body from the morgue to the funeral home.
The suspect was shot during a standoff with the San Marcos/Hays County SWAT team and was taken to an Austin hospital, police said.
The officer was pronounced deceased at 3:50 p.m.by Justice of the Peace Joann Prado.
Bill O'Reily, Fox News Sued for Disparaging Female Accuser
Her lawsuit also claims that O'Reilly's statements that no complaints were filed against him are "deliberately misleading". "Mr. Fox News ended its association with O'Reilly in April due to sexual harassment allegations against the TV host and commentator.
Chief Stapp said the loss of Officer Copeland is painful for many in the police department. "They're simply trying to protect us from harm and that's what officer Copeland was doing today", said Lumbreras. The chief declined to offer further details about the nature of the shooting or the arrest warrant Copeland was serving.
Copeland, 58, was wearing a bulletproof vest and was struck several times, Stapp said.
"His picture is hanging in different parts of this police department because everybody here loved him", he added. The shooting was said to have occurred near Bowie Elementary School in Texas. We remember the sacrifices our men and women in law enforcement make every day. Cecilia and I extend our heartfelt condolences to the officer's family and to the entire San Marcos Police Department. He also worked security at the Promiseland Church on the edge of town, Pastor Michael Higgins told the station. "There's only a few that really mesh with our environment, and Ken Copeland was so highly respected".
- Instagram Introduces Private Archive To Automatically Save 24 Hour Stories
- Wildfire spreads in Southern California
- Rep. John Conyers Announces Retirement Amid Misconduct Accusations
- Around 50 leaders set for Paris climate summit
- Georgia LB Patrick facing undisclosed misdemeanor charge
- Bryan Singer No Longer Directing Queen Biopic
- US Withdraws from UN Global Compact on Migration
- How to Sign Your Child Up for Facebook's New 'Messenger Kids'
- Trump Working Against A Future Senator Romney
- Lavrov Claims US Trying To Provoke North Korean Leadership