Breezy conditions made sub-par rounds hard at the Albany course with overnight leader Hoffman one of the few to deliver, surging to a five-stroke lead after a birdie at 18 for a two-under 70 and a 202 total.
"Play enough, but not play too much", Woods said. He also had a double bogey in the elite 18-man event that featured eight of the world's top 10. "I have always said that Tiger has a great work ethic, and he has put in the time and hard work to first get healthy and then to ready himself for competitive golf".
Woods, playing for the first time since February, was in trouble from the opening hole, hitting his tee shot at the par-four first into the sand bordering the fairway.
Showing speed and power with his full swings and seemingly without any discomfort despite four back surgeries to his name the two-time FedExCup champion proved a return to regular PGA TOUR duties is far from beyond him. Bogeys on the par-five sixth, par-four seventh and par-four 10th further deepened the gloom. "I don't know what my schedule's going to be, but my expectations are we'll be playing next year".
Super "Frost" moon this weekend
Nearby perigee full Moons appear about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than full Moons that occur near apogee in the Moon's orbit. Stargazers will get a chance to witness the first and only supermoon of this year Sunday night.
"The shot that really threw me for a loop was the shot at three", Woods said.
Although the birdie run eventually came to a halt with a two-putt par at the eighth, Fowler added another at the ninth to reach the turn in 28 and pick up three more over his back nine.
It left the 14-time Major victor 10 shots off the lead held by fellow American Charley Hoffman.
Overnight leader Charley Hoffman (72) faded to second at 274 with England's Tommy Fleetwood (67) and Jordan Spieth (69) tied for third at 12-under 276.
- Former US NSA employee pleads guilty to taking classified documents
- American Airlines Accidentally Let Thousands of Pilots Take Vacation Over Christmas
- Pogba: Arsenal Lacazette absence good for Man Utd
- Victoria's Secret Models Under Fire After Singing N-Word Backstage
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Attend First Official Royal Engagement Together
- Recap of most expensive Atlantic hurricane season on record
- Yemen's Saleh says 'citizens have revolted against Houthi aggression'
- Lashing out at news media, Trump brings up Joe Scarborough conspiracy theory
- Florida State Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher to take Texas A&M coaching job
- Israeli troops, Palestinian mourners clash in West Bank