The Dawgs are in a good spot and should be the No. 1 team heading into the playoff. The Bulldogs beat Auburn 28-7 in the conference championship game on Saturday.
"We didn't have any problem moving the ball against SEC defenses", Riley quipped on November 6, responding to a question about Big 12 criticism, and referencing the Sooners' 35-19 win over Auburn in last season's Sugar Bowl.
Oklahoma defeated another SEC team, Auburn, 35-19 in the Sugar Bowl last season. Riley, at 34 the youngest FBS head coach, is only the fifth coach in FBS history with no previous head coaching experience at a four-year college to win at least 12 games in his debut season. The committee chose Alabama over Big Ten champion Ohio State for the final berth in the playoff.
The Bulldogs are consequently likely to get an opportunity to play in the Rose Bowl against an Oklahoma team that will provide a major test.
The Sooners are in the College Football Playoff!
Rickie Fowler fires seven birdies in a row at Hero World Challenge
Overnight leader Charley Hoffman (72) faded to second at 274 with England's Tommy Fleetwood (67) and Jordan Spieth (69) tied for third at 12-under 276.
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - Oklahoma and Georgia are headed out west to play their College Football Playoff semifinal in the 104th Rose Bowl. The Crimson Tide's reward is a playoff rematch against defending national champion Clemson in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans on January 1. Georgia, which rebounded from a regular-season loss to Auburn, is ranked No. 3.
Ohio State has made its case with its triumph over the Badgers. However, they did get crushed twice by Oklahoma and to Iowa. Which team gets the final spot in the final four caused a debate between the Crimson Tide and Buckeyes.
While one could argue USC deserves to be in the conversation, too, since they'll have an identical record to Ohio State and also be the conference champion of a Power 5 conference, the conventional wisdom is that it will be an Ohio State-Alabama decision.
No. 1 Clemson vs. The 10th-ranked Knights are the last unbeaten team in the Football Bowl Subdivision and matched their best ranking ever.
College football has a different type of selection Sunday, a smaller bracket, and dozens of other games that make people argue about how much they matter.
Oklahoma is in the College Football Playoff for the second time in three years after losing the Orange Bowl semifinal to Clemson in 2015.
After all the New Year's Six bowls are set, including the semifinals, the rest of the bowl lineups come together throughout the day.
- Amber Alert issued for missing 3-year-old girl from Onslow County
- Lashing out at news media, Trump brings up Joe Scarborough conspiracy theory
- Lavrov Claims US Trying To Provoke North Korean Leadership
- The only supermoon this year is coming up on Sunday
- Yemen's Saleh says 'citizens have revolted against Houthi aggression'
- Israeli missiles strike Iranian base near Syria's Damascus
- Israeli troops, Palestinian mourners clash in West Bank
- NCAA smacks Ole Miss with additional postseason ban, more scholarship cuts
- Florida State Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher to take Texas A&M coaching job
- Max hospital row: Family cries foul over hospital's irresponsible behaviour