Center of Potsdam evacuated after suspicious package found.
Earlier, officers said special forces were examining the object, which was described by the Potsdamer Neueste Nachrichten newspaper as a package measuring 40cm (15.75in) by 50cm that had been delivered to a pharmacy near the market. An employee opened it, discovered wires, white powder and batteries inside and called the police.
The Christmas market was evacuated to allow explosives experts to secure the device and destroy it in place outside the pharmacy in Potsdam, the capital of the state of Brandenburg, just outside of Berlin.
Police are "currently deployed to central Potsdam because a suspicious package [was found there]", the local police department said in a Twitter post.
Security has been stepped up at all markets across Germany ahead of that anniversary, and the looming first Advent weekend.
Teen takes it too far to look like Angelina Jolie
Both her nose and cheekbones appear to be in different places in several snaps, suggesting she has edited them. She also lost almost 88 pounds during her transformation.
German authorities were already on high alert for an attack on one of the country's famous Christmas markets after 12 people were killed in Berlin previous year.
Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said this week that Germany had increased information-sharing between federal and state officials and taken other steps to increase security after a series of missteps in the Berlin case.
"The Christmas markets are part of our lives and our culture", he said.
The suspect, Anis Amri, fled to Italy after the December 19 terror attack where he was killed in a shootout with police four days later.
With the Potsdam market closed until further notice, the western Berlin market will close on December 19th, the anniversary of the attack, for a memorial service.
- Recap of most expensive Atlantic hurricane season on record
- Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga split
- LeBron ejected for first time in career
- Amber Alert issued for missing 3-year-old girl from Onslow County
- Walcott, Carroll, Benteke... 10 most likely Sam Allardyce signings
- Apple and Qualcomm become best pals... lol jk the sueballs keep flying
- Civilization VI First Expansion "Rise and Fall" Announced, Coming In February
- Google Introduces Datally, an App That Saves You Data
- Samsung launches Burgundy Red Galaxy S8 in Korea
- Police foil Melbourne New Year's Eve 'terror plot'