Florida residents, along with many others, have been waiting for this day to come, the end of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season.
This season had 17 named storms, 10 hurricanes, and six major hurricanes. The 2017 hurricane season was also the first on record to have two Category 4 hurricanes hit the U.S.in the same year (Harvey and Irma).
Harvey (August 25, in Texas) and Irma (September 10, in Florida) made landfall in the continental U.S.in 2017 as major hurricanes; Maria was also classified as a major hurricane when it struck on September 20 in Puerto Rico, a USA territory.
The National Hurricane Center reports that the combined strength and duration of tropical storms and hurricanes in 2017 was the fifth-most active on record, behind 1893, 1926, 1933 and 2005.
The 2018 hurricane season will officially start on June 1st, but tropical storms have been known to form in the Atlantic as early as January.
Of the 17 named storms, 4 hurricanes made landfall on the US mainland or Puerto Rico, those were Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate.
NOAA had forecast 14-19 named storms, 5-9 hurricanes and 2-5 major hurricanes.
The backyard of a home at Halfmoon River on Wilmington Island during Irma. Season summary map
This year's devastating and deadly hurricane season was one of the top 10 most active seasons on record. Though it felt at times like the worst season ever, it turns out to be the seventh most active season in history.
Although forecasters were kept on their toes, according to verification data, the NHC said that track forecasts (those cones that you see on TV) had record low error.
On Sept 20, Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico, devastating the USA territory with widespread damage and power outages.
Lastly, Ophelia became a hurricane three days later on October 11th. It was the greatest rainfall amount recorded from a single storm in US history.
Harvey was the first category 4 storm to make landfall in Texas since 1961.
Atlantic tropical storm tracks in 2017. Irma had sustained wind speeds of 185 mph for 37 hours, a new global record.
Amazon launches VR and AR app platform
The AWS Premier Consulting Partner tier highlights the top APN Consulting Partners globally that have significant AWS investments. That's where the AWS Marketplace came in. "The solution is helping enterprises accelerate cloud adoption and become more agile".
- Civilization VI First Expansion "Rise and Fall" Announced, Coming In February
- Microsoft launches 'Azure Location Based Services' Public Preview
- Google Introduces Datally, an App That Saves You Data
- Teen takes it too far to look like Angelina Jolie
- Honor V10 with AI-enabled 6GB Coming to India In January 2018
- LeBron ejected for first time in career
- Tel Aviv court bans Uber's ride-sharing operation in Israel
- Mike Gundy has been frustrated with Oklahoma State, his new contract
- Xiaomi Redmi 5, Redmi 5 Plus specs and renders sighted on TENAA
- Franken breaks silence, says he's 'embarrassed and ashamed'