Thousands of flights between December 17 and December 31 could be affected by staffing shortages, the Allied Pilots Association, which represents the carrier's pilots, estimated in a figure provided to Bloomberg on Wednesday.
"This is a potential crisis that we see well in advance", Capt. Dennis Tajer, a spokesman for the union, said to The Associated Press.
Bloomberg reported that flights affected are from Dallas, Boston, Miami, New York City, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City and Charlotte.
The Allied Pilots Association, the pilots' union, compiled the figures on the number of flights affected from December 17 to December 31, based on information provided by the carrier, The Dallas Morning News reported.
According to CBS News, the scheduling glitch was discovered on Black Friday, meaning the carrier has been working for almost a week to staff its flights.
"That is not a computer glitch that is a computer screw up, so they just gotta pay for it", said John Mauldin.
Israel Expects President Trump to Move Embassy to Jerusalem Within Days
In a speech commemorating the 70th anniversary of the United Nations vote that led to the founding of the state of Israel, Mr. But, in 1948, Zionist forces seized the western half of the city and declared the area as part of what became Israel.
The glitch has since been patched, and American Airlines has offered pilots up to 150 percent of their normal hourly wages to work over the holidays, but the union says that would go against the union's overtime rules.
"On Friday, management disclosed a failure within the pilot schedule bidding system", read a statement posted to the Allied Pilots Association's (APA) website on Tuesday.
The system granted vacations to American Airlines pilots that requested the same days off around Christmas.
"The Allied Pilots Association, the union representing the carrier's aviators, told its members Wednesday it learned there are "significant holes" in the operation".
"I'm watching a "Grinch that stole Christmas" thing happening".
The airline said its working to address the issue and to avoid cancellation during the holiday season.
- Tel Aviv court bans Uber's ride-sharing operation in Israel
- Amber Alert issued for missing 3-year-old girl from Onslow County
- Amazon launches VR and AR app platform
- Bungie cancels Destiny 2 livestream as tensions with community rise
- Honor V10 with AI-enabled 6GB Coming to India In January 2018
- Court: DOD can't delay transgender enlistments beyond January 1
- Walcott, Carroll, Benteke... 10 most likely Sam Allardyce signings
- Civilization VI First Expansion "Rise and Fall" Announced, Coming In February
- Asus Zenfone Max Plus (M1) with full-view display unveiled: Specifications, features
- Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga split