"I don't believe it is appropriate to use a racial slur in any context".
Trump, during the meeting with three ageing Navajo "code talkers" who helped keep allied operations secret during World War II, made a decision to throw etiquette out of the window and attacked a Democratic Party rival - Elizabeth Warren - by calling her Pocahontas.
Look, is it amusing that Warren once claimed Native American heritage?
She told the Associated Press in 2012 that her parents told her (and her siblings) that they had Native American heritage.
How does Donald Trump keep finding new ways to embarrass the nation?
Faith Spotted Eagle, a prominent Native American activist, said that the use of the word in that setting amounted to "emotional assault" that "carries as much weight as a physical assault", according to a reporter for the Toronto Star.
Florida Teen sought in grandmother's death detained in Buffalo at Canadian border
He said Mott was turned over to Buffalo police, who were coordinating with police in Jacksonville on the teen's return. Logan Mott is to date only a person of interest not a suspect, but damning evidence mounts.
During remarks praising their service, he said: "You were here long before any of us were here".
"President Trump couldn't even make it through a ceremony to honor these men without throwing in a racial slur", Warren told Anderson Cooper.
Begaye also said that Trump's language "kind of ruined the whole ceremony" but that Native Americans are "still holding our heads high" and will "continue to outlive any kind of racial remarks".
Our nation owes a debt of gratitude to the Navajo Code Talkers, whose bravery, skill & tenacity helped secure our decisive victory over tyranny & oppression during WWII. Why did he feel the need to say something that is offensive to many people while honoring the Navajo code talkers? Donald Trump does this over and over thinking somehow he is going to shut me up with it.
This morning, Begaye appeared on cable news to discuss Trump's comments and how they were racially offensive. "It hadn't worked in the past, it is not gonna work in the future".
Navajo Nation Council delegate Amber Kanazbah Crotty cited the event as the "latest example of systemic, deep-seated ignorance" about Native Americans. You are really incredible people.
- Tiger Woods paired with Justin Thomas on PGA Tour comeback
- Actor Rance Howard, father of director Ron Howard, dies at 89
- Angela Merkel offered path to fourth term
- Black Friday nets Amazon boss Jeff Bezos a $100bn fortune
- Infiniti introduces 2019 QX50 ahead of LA Auto Show outing
- Body found hanging in Nahargarh Fort in protest of Padmavati
- Plenty more Hollywood predators out there, says Susan Sarandon
- Will the Real CFPB Acting Director Please Stand Up?
- UP train derailment: Yogi announces Rs 2 lakh compensation
- Congressman steps down from top post amid sexual harassment investigation