"I don't believe it is appropriate to use a racial slur in any context".
Trump, during the meeting with three ageing Navajo "code talkers" who helped keep allied operations secret during World War II, made a decision to throw etiquette out of the window and attacked a Democratic Party rival - Elizabeth Warren - by calling her Pocahontas.
Look, is it amusing that Warren once claimed Native American heritage?
She told the Associated Press in 2012 that her parents told her (and her siblings) that they had Native American heritage.
How does Donald Trump keep finding new ways to embarrass the nation?
Faith Spotted Eagle, a prominent Native American activist, said that the use of the word in that setting amounted to "emotional assault" that "carries as much weight as a physical assault", according to a reporter for the Toronto Star.
Coaching changes at Ole Miss, MSU have fans reeling
Ole Miss won three of their last four games, with the lone loss in the stretch coming against Texas A&M on November 18. In his first season in charge of Ole Miss , Luke led the Rebels to a 6-6 record thanks to beating then-No.
During remarks praising their service, he said: "You were here long before any of us were here".
"President Trump couldn't even make it through a ceremony to honor these men without throwing in a racial slur", Warren told Anderson Cooper.
Begaye also said that Trump's language "kind of ruined the whole ceremony" but that Native Americans are "still holding our heads high" and will "continue to outlive any kind of racial remarks".
Our nation owes a debt of gratitude to the Navajo Code Talkers, whose bravery, skill & tenacity helped secure our decisive victory over tyranny & oppression during WWII. Why did he feel the need to say something that is offensive to many people while honoring the Navajo code talkers? Donald Trump does this over and over thinking somehow he is going to shut me up with it.
This morning, Begaye appeared on cable news to discuss Trump's comments and how they were racially offensive. "It hadn't worked in the past, it is not gonna work in the future".
Navajo Nation Council delegate Amber Kanazbah Crotty cited the event as the "latest example of systemic, deep-seated ignorance" about Native Americans. You are really incredible people.
- Glee actress Naya Rivera accused of domestic battery
- Angela Merkel offered path to fourth term
- Infiniti introduces 2019 QX50 ahead of LA Auto Show outing
- United Kingdom cities told they can't be European Capital of Culture post Brexit
- SC's Tim Scott to embroiled GOP candidate Roy Moore: 'Move on'
- Congressman steps down from top post amid sexual harassment investigation
- Ontario marks International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women
- 'Carrick can join Man Utd as coaching staff'
- UP train derailment: Yogi announces Rs 2 lakh compensation
- Khurram Dastgir leaves for Riyadh