It is now widely recognized that violence against women, including harassment and harmful practices, is a major barrier to women and girls enjoying their fundamental human rights, and is a direct challenge to women's inclusion and participation in sustaining peace.
THE Fiji Women's Rights Movement (FWRM) marked the beginning of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-based Violence with the launching of the Grow, Inspire, Relate, Lead and Succeed (GIRLS) Theatre Program in Suva on Friday night. He added that even with the high number of calls, there are a significant number of incidents of violence against women that are never reported. One in three women will experience some form of sexual assault in her lifetime. "There are many ways to prevent violence in the first place, and to stop its recurrence".
The Day also spotlights the work of women's rights activists, who are being targeted at "alarming levels", and violence against women politicians, which hamper women's rights.
This violence, the most visible sign of pervasive patriarchy and chauvinism, directly impacts women's physical and psychological health. This evidence, however, doesn't improve the actions for women's inclusion, leadership and protection. It is only through working together and giving all women and their families in Canada the same social supports and equality in social funding that we will eliminate this tragic issue and also end missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
Despite victory against Argentina, Nigeria drops 9 places in Federation Internationale de Football Association ranking
England drew with world champions Germany and Brazil in friendlies in November but fall three places to 15th. Spain moved up two spots to No. 6, followed by Poland, Switzerland, France and Chile.
Answering a question, the PCSW chairperson said government departments were not cooperating with the commission and sharing authentic data on violence against women.
It also coincides with the trial in Spain of five men accused of gang raping a woman, who was then 18, in July 2016 during the famed Pamplona bull-running festival, a case that has shocked the country.
While this violence continues, the global community will not achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, a master plan to end poverty and save the planet, adopted by the United Nations in 2015.
In December 1993, the United Nations adopted the Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women.
- Florida Teen sought in grandmother's death detained in Buffalo at Canadian border
- Mueller's Team Investigating Kushner's Contact With Foreign Leaders
- At Least 155 Killed, 120 Injured in Egypt Mosque Attack
- Chiefs shockingly sign 32-year-old, 7-time Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis
- Who Is Dabrett Black? Texas DPS Trooper Shooting Suspect Arrested
- Apple Rumored to Be Readying a New Budget-Friendly iPhone for 2018
- Shoppers' delight today with mostly sunny skies and warmer afternoon temperatures
- Westbrook's 34 points lead Thunder past Warriors, 108-91
- Robinho sentenced to 9 years in prison over sexual assault
- Xbox Store Black Friday deals available until November 27