United States special counsel Robert Mueller's team is investigating senior White House adviser Jared Kushner over contacts with Israeli officials, according to a Wall Street Journal report Tuesday.
The Trump team's opposition was well known at the time. Kushner reportedly advocated for Trump to back Alabama Republican candidate Luther Strange in the runoff against Roy Moore, which Strange then lost. Kushner's also a member of Trump's family, had glaring omissions on his security clearance forms, and his potential influence in Comey's dismissal makes him an integral player in the ongoing Trump-Russia saga that's cast a shadow over the young administration's first year in office. The Journal notes that inquiries don't necessarily indicate suspicion, and Mueller may be attempting to get a broader feel for Kushner's role within both the transition team and the administration at large. That decision ultimately led to Mueller's appointment as special counsel.
Also of interest, the Journal reported, is Kushner's involvement in a United Nations resolution passed last December condemning Israel's settlement construction in disputed territories after Israeli officials asked Trump administration officials, including Kushner, to help block it, even though Trump had yet to take office.
Kushner has repeatedly figured into the investigation into Russia's meddling in the 2016 election due to his presence at meetings past year with Russian officials and representatives. Trump himself has called Mueller's probe the greatest "political witch hunt" in the country's history.
The UN Security Council passed the resolution days later as the USA abstained from vetoing it.
At Least 155 Killed, 120 Injured in Egypt Mosque Attack
He affirmed his confidence that Egypt is capable of winning the war against terrorism and eradicating it, a spokesman said. Our condolences & prayers are with the victims & their families.
Under the Obama Administration the U.S. abstained and was the only one of the 14 countries on the UNSC not to approve the measure in December 2016.
The Journal reports that Mueller's latest interest in Kushner also includes his role in "arranging meetings or communication with foreign leaders during the transition".
President Donald Trump reportedly wants Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner to leave Washington, DC and go back to NY.
Kushner is a main focus of Mueller's probe into a June 2016 Trump Tower meeting that was attended by a Kremlin-connected lawyer who had promised "dirt" on Hillary Clinton.
- The New 'Incredibles 2' Teaser Just Dropped with a Disney Pixar POW!
- U.S. wants PLO's Washington office to stay open -State Dept.
- Robinho sentenced to 9 years in prison over sexual assault
- Lawyers hold anti-Pak protest over Hafiz Saeed release
- Major League Baseball penalizes Braves for global spending violations
- Despite victory against Argentina, Nigeria drops 9 places in Federation Internationale de Football Association ranking
- Antonio Conte hails Chelsea character after Blues progress in Europe
- Radioactive Cloud Originated in Russia: What Might Have Caused It?
- Barcelona draws 0-0 at Juventus to seal top spot in group
- Chiefs shockingly sign 32-year-old, 7-time Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis