This is not the first time that OnePlus has been accused of compromising privacy of its users. OnePlus has been shipping a Qualcomm engineering APK (an Android app file) in its devices, which with a few commands, can root a device.
The backdoor is provided through an application called Engineer Mode that ships pre-installed on the devices.
If hackers wanted to get into your phone, they would need physical access to it, so if you have any OnePlus devices, just keep it away from any of your playful tech-savvy friends until the app is officially removed. If this is set to "true", the app will allow root access over Android Debug Bridge, Android's command-line developer tools. This is thanks to a Qualcomm system-side app and OnePlus's decision to leave it in the custody of end users. The developer also stated that deploying the "DiagEnabled" activity found in the APK with a specific password, it is possible to root the device. The app has the ability to diagnose Global Positioning System, check root status and perform a series of tests. "So it's not risky, it just means anybody with the password can plug your phone to a computer and take all your data". But on the other hand, we do hope that OnePlus patches this as well, because it is provides a legitimate backdoor to OnePlus 3, 3T, and OnePlus 5 devices.
Philippine President Duterte serenades Trump at ASEAN gala
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is another key backer of Duterte, with the pair having established a warm relationship. Asked if he will discuss EJKs with the U.S President? "I don't care about human rights, believe me".
OnePlus CEO, Carl Pel, said his company is "looking into" the backdoor report.
Will it affect OnePlus 5T sales?
Robert Baptiste, a freelance security researcher who goes by the name Elliot Alderson on Twitter after the Mr. Robot TV show character, found the tool on a OnePlus phone and tweeted his findings Monday. At the time, OnePlus stated that the whole objective of collecting data was to improve the service.
- Customers May Not Get Benefits of Slashed GST Rates At Restaurants
- IPhone X's Face ID gets conned by mask
- Russia's Defence Ministry to investigate wrong photos used on Syria statement
- Injustice 2 Adds the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Fighter Pack 3
- Top Televised Games For Week 11
- Qualcomm has rejected Broadcom's $130 billion 'unsolicited proposal'
- Israeli Patriot Missile Shoots Down Syrian UAV
- Vikings WR Adam Thielen continues stellar season in win over Redskins
- Elliott falls just short of earning championship spot
- Aguero gives Argentina win over Russian Federation at World Cup final stadium