"Bring the tax cap under GST from 28 percent to 18 percent", the Congress vice-president said, according to CNN-News 18. India does not need five different taxes but one tax.
During his campaign tours as part of his three-day Navsarjan Yatra in north Gujarat, Mr. Gandhi said that even after the changes, the GST remained a complex, multi-tiered tax structure with inherent "anti-business and anti-people" tax slabs.
Former Finance Minister and Congress leader P. Chidambaram on Saturday took a dig at the government over the GST roll back in tax slabs, saying it took four months for commonsense to "germinate, flower and ripen into a fruit".
"Persistent pressure built by the Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi and the Congress party forced the GST Council and the BJP Government to reduce taxes on items of daily usage being taxed under the 28 per cent bracket".
"As far as modifications made by the GST council are concerned, I think this is a reflection of the sensitivity with which the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government works... this is the government which is open to inputs".
Melania and Donald Trump appear to not hold hands in China
Despite the temperature dipping below 10 deg C, Mrs Trump donned a flowing Dolce & Gabbana half-sleeve gown without an overcoat. She also shared what her time as first lady has been like at the one-year anniversary of her husband's election.
Figuring out the challenges being faced by textiles sector and agriculture sector, Surjewala said that "adjournment, deferment, rather than decision, appear to be the "way forward" for this government" and none of these challenges have been addressed by GST Council.
Criticising Chidambaram, the minister said the Congress leader has many things to thank the BJP for. "These are Gujarat's and the country's demands", Gandhi added.
North Gujarat has 32 Assembly seats and this is the fourth region Gandhi visited in recent days.
Sinha and Shourie, who had held several portfolios in the Vajpayee government between 1998-2004, had criticised the Modi government on several economic issues despite being members of the BJP.
"They saw it happening in Surat the other day when Rahul Gandhi chose to visit a textile market and was greeted by slogans of "Modi, Modi, Modi", he said.
- Roger Goodell 'furious' over condition of new National Football League contract
- Uber Wants To Bring Its Flying Taxis To Traffic-Congested Los Angeles
- Stephen King and Chrissy Teigen Lead the 280 Character Rebellion on Twitter
- Davidson's graduation success rate ties for 2nd nationally
- Hulu App Released for Nintendo Switch
- Ex- Trump aide Flynn investigated over plot to kidnap Turkish dissident
- Arsenal aim to finish above Tottenham, says Wilshere
- IOS 11.1.1 update now available, includes 'i' autocorrect fix
- You can now download Google's Files Go app from the Play Store
- Eminem releases new single 'Walk On Water' featuring Beyonce