While little is known about Harry Potter: Wizard's Unite yet, casting spells and fighting legendary beasts is among the fun that will come with the game.
Despite previously denying that it had any plans to make a Harry Potter AR game, Niantic has partnered with Warner Bros.
Like Pokemon GO, it's pretty safe to assume that Wizards Unite will have a strong community aspect to it. "With Portkey Games, we are thrilled to answer the fans' requests for more games inspired by J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World", said Haddad.
HBO also happens to be owned by Time Warner, the same parent company that owns Warner Bros., which produced the Harry Potter films.
To celebrate the announcement, HBO released a short, animated video featuring the Marauder's Map that Harry receives in Prisoner of Azkaban.
Barcelona Back At Table With Liverpool For Philippe Coutinho
He even handed in a transfer request in a bid to force Liverpool's hand , but the Reds insisted he wasn't for sale, and stuck to their guns.
Software company Niantic Labs is basing this new game on the universe of Harry Potter, an equally massive cultural obsession. There's no release date yet though and we'll have to wait until next year to find out more details.
Much like Pokemon Go, the game will use augmented reality to turn the world around us into the world of Harry, Hermione, the bloke from Cracker and the rest of the gang.
The new division is named after an already existing concept found in the Wizarding World, Portkeys.
"At Niantic, our goal is to leverage technology to create real world experiences that help people to discover the wonderful, and often magical parts of the world around them", said Hanke in the prepared statement. Whatever the mechanics of the game, with the Harry Potter franchise extremely large fanbase, it's safe to say there will be a lot of interest in this game.
- Olympic Medalist Aly Raisman Says Larry Nassar Sexually Abused Her
- Freebies for Vets on Veterans Day
- Hope Solo Accuses Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter of Sexual Assault
- IOS 11.1.1 update now available, includes 'i' autocorrect fix
- Kevin Spacey dropped from film after fresh sexual allegations
- First openly transgender woman of color elected to public office in US
- Roger Goodell 'furious' over condition of new National Football League contract
- Apple is reportedly making an AR headset to compete with HoloLens
- Kevin Spacey accused in incident involving former Boston TV anchor relative
- Study shows sheep recognise human faces