Longtime U.S. women's national team goalkeeper Hope Solo says former Federation Internationale de Football Association president Sepp Blatter sexually assaulted her at a 2013 awards ceremony, according to The Guardian.
Abby Wambach of the United States of America receives the FIFA Women's World Player of the Year award from US teammate Hope Solo and FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter during the FIFA Ballon d'Or Gala 2012 at the Kongresshaus on January 7, 2013 in Zurich, Switzerland.
Former Fifa president Sepp Blatter has become the latest high-profile public figure to be accused of sexual assault.
"I had Sepp Blatter grab my ass", she said. She was accompanied on stage by Blatter.
"I had to quickly pull myself together to present my team-mate with the biggest award of her career and celebrate with her in that moment, so I completely shifted my focus to Abby".
"After that I did not see him and that was kind of bad", she told the magazine.
Kevin Spacey dropped from film after fresh sexual allegations
Spacey was axed from the film, " All the Money in the World ", directed by Ridley Scott , which premieres on Friday, Dec. 22. Spacey, who was 26 at the time , said: "I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago".
Blatter could not immediately be reached for comment by the AP, but the embattled former head of soccer's governing body told the Guardian newspaper: "This allegation is ridiculous". I didn't get to tell him directly "don't ever touch me".
"I'm actually very disappointed with the women who haven't spoken about it in the sports world ..."
Blatter, now 81, was banned by Federation Internationale de Football Association in 2015 after serving as president since 1998. It can happen all across the board, it can happen between women, it can happen anywhere.
"I've seen it not just with coaches, I've seen it with trainers, doctors, and our press officers". In 2004, he landed in hot water after saying women's soccer should use sex appeal as a way to grow the game. I've seen it among players in the locker room.
Solo hasn't played for the USWNT since she was suspended from the program in 2016.
Solo anchored the US team in goal during its 2015 Women's World Cup championship run, allowing just three goals in seven games with five shutouts during the tournament.
- Stephen King and Chrissy Teigen Lead the 280 Character Rebellion on Twitter
- IOS 11.1.1 update now available, includes 'i' autocorrect fix
- Danica Roem elected Virginia's first openly transgender state official
- EU's Vestager seeking details on Apple's recent tax set-up
- Patriots Claim TE Martellus Bennett Off Waivers
- Twitter doubles character limit to 280 for (nearly) everyone
- Boris Johnson admits his remarks 'could have been clearer' about jailed Briton
- Meek Mill Sentenced to 2-4 Years in Prison for Probation Violations
- Koenigsegg Agera RS becomes the world's fastest production auto
- First openly transgender woman of color elected to public office in US