Disney has announced that they are planning a bunch of new TV shows based on their most popular franchises. As most of you are aware, Netflix now costs anywhere between $7.99 and $13.99 a month to stream an array of studio content including the service's original series and films. On this outline, it might seem like Disney is developing a Netflix killer.
Parent company Disney says the offering will be accessible through a brand new ESPN app that features the option stream the channels and access live sporting events. We're not sure how this will affect viewers in other territories presently. "And so that gives us an opportunity as well".
There are no details whatsoever regarding what either series will be about, but both are expected to debut before the end of 2019, soon after Disney launches their new service. Iger also revealed that Disney's new service will be priced "substantially below" Netflix, at least when it initially launches.
"We've given a lot of thought to pricing", Iger said. An example being, if a director or show producer has an idea, now Netflix is up against Disney, Hulu, Amazon and more for the rights to the show.
Apple is reportedly making an AR headset to compete with HoloLens
Apparently Apple is looking at creating a standalone augmented reality headset within the next two years. They're reportedly working on multiple hardware and software projects under the codename "T288".
Netflix has already established itself as a pillar of the entertainment industry and shows like "House of Cards" and "Stranger Things" have shown the company is a major cultural force.
Disney's new service, then, doesn't really pose a risk to Netflix in terms of subscribers jumping ship, or even all that large of a threat that folks won't sign up for Netflix. Disney purchasing most of Fox would understandably increase the likelihood of that happening, for better or worse.
Myles Udland is a writer at Yahoo Finance.
- Olympic Medalist Aly Raisman Says Larry Nassar Sexually Abused Her
- Danica Roem elected Virginia's first openly transgender state official
- Kevin Spacey accused in incident involving former Boston TV anchor relative
- Twitter doubles character limit to 280 for (nearly) everyone
- Barcelona Back At Table With Liverpool For Philippe Coutinho
- Patriots Claim TE Martellus Bennett Off Waivers
- First openly transgender woman of color elected to public office in US
- Melania and Donald Trump appear to not hold hands in China
- Trump Eliminates TPS Protections for Nicaraguan Migrants
- Facebook Working On Method To Prevent Revenge Porn