All Twitter (NYSE:TWTR) users now have the ability to tweet using 280 characters, double the previous 140-character limit. Twitter confirmed that after a global test, users will be able to tweet in 280-characters across the globe.
The company said in September that it was testing a new upper limit because languages such as English couldn't pack as much information into 140-characters as other languages, such as Chinese, Japanese or Korean, which use can use characters that denote whole words.
But those who did use the longer tweets, got more followers, more engagement and spent more time on the site, it added.
It now has over 50,000 retweets and 100,000 likes at the time of writing, putting it up there with the most viral tweets of it's kind.
Rail chaos: Southern drivers end 18-month strike
At Britain's busiest station, London Waterloo, "contingency guards" working for the train operator were operating some trains. The November 14th strike date will clash with the Ireland v Denmark World Cup play-off at Lansdowne Road.
The epd press agency, which reports on the behalf of the official Evangelical Church in Germany, sought out an "expert" to dispute the notion that anything of great written value would be found on Twitter at all - either briefly or at the full new length of 280 characters. The user edited Jack's tweet into only 140 characters without losing the meaning of tweet itself.
The company has been slowly easing restrictions to let people cram more characters into a tweet. City tweeted, "280 characters means we can now go..."
Just 5 percent of tweets posted during the trial period were longer than 140 characters - and only 2 percent were longer than 190 characters.
Actor Isiah Whitlock Jr., famous for his role as Clay Davis on The Wire, used the opportunity to remind Twitter of the character's famous catchphrase. The company believes that more space allows users to fit their thoughts in a single tweet, so the people could speak whatever they want to and send tweets quickly than before.
- Boris Johnson admits his remarks 'could have been clearer' about jailed Briton
- The incredible rise of Jasprit Bumrah
- Meek Mill Sentenced to 2-4 Years in Prison for Probation Violations
- Google Search and Maps Now Show You Estimated Wait Times at Restaurants
- Wife discovers husband's extramarital affair mid-air, forces pilot to land plane
- Kevin Spacey dropped from film after fresh sexual allegations
- Trump Virtually Campaigns For Gillespie From South Korea
- EU's Vestager seeking details on Apple's recent tax set-up
- Study shows sheep recognise human faces
- Carter Page Coordinated Russia Trip With Top Trump Campaign Officials