All Twitter (NYSE:TWTR) users now have the ability to tweet using 280 characters, double the previous 140-character limit. Twitter confirmed that after a global test, users will be able to tweet in 280-characters across the globe.
The company said in September that it was testing a new upper limit because languages such as English couldn't pack as much information into 140-characters as other languages, such as Chinese, Japanese or Korean, which use can use characters that denote whole words.
But those who did use the longer tweets, got more followers, more engagement and spent more time on the site, it added.
It now has over 50,000 retweets and 100,000 likes at the time of writing, putting it up there with the most viral tweets of it's kind.
Wife discovers husband's extramarital affair mid-air, forces pilot to land plane
The passenger had unlocked the phone of her sleeping husband using his thumb impression and learnt about his infidelity. The woman is said to have been irate and refused to be pacified despite the flight's crew attempting to do so.
The epd press agency, which reports on the behalf of the official Evangelical Church in Germany, sought out an "expert" to dispute the notion that anything of great written value would be found on Twitter at all - either briefly or at the full new length of 280 characters. The user edited Jack's tweet into only 140 characters without losing the meaning of tweet itself.
The company has been slowly easing restrictions to let people cram more characters into a tweet. City tweeted, "280 characters means we can now go..."
Just 5 percent of tweets posted during the trial period were longer than 140 characters - and only 2 percent were longer than 190 characters.
Actor Isiah Whitlock Jr., famous for his role as Clay Davis on The Wire, used the opportunity to remind Twitter of the character's famous catchphrase. The company believes that more space allows users to fit their thoughts in a single tweet, so the people could speak whatever they want to and send tweets quickly than before.
- Study shows sheep recognise human faces
- Kevin Spacey dropped from film after fresh sexual allegations
- The Queen's Offshore Investments Spark Controversy in Britain
- Waymo pulls engineer from driver's seat on public roads
- Kevin Spacey accused in incident involving former Boston TV anchor relative
- Carter Page Coordinated Russia Trip With Top Trump Campaign Officials
- Trump Eliminates TPS Protections for Nicaraguan Migrants
- Rays' Evan Longoria wins third Golden Glove Award
- Trump Virtually Campaigns For Gillespie From South Korea
- Apple is reportedly making an AR headset to compete with HoloLens