While many Twitter users reacted with horror to the tests, Twitter said in a blog post that the higher limit made people more likely to tweet, left fewer than 1 percent of users hungry for more room and increased "engagement" - its umbrella term for likes, replies and retweets.
Twitter's character limit was created so that tweets could fit into a single text message, back when many people were using texts to receive tweets.
The company started testing the longer tweet limit with a small group of users in September.
The announcement comes just a few months after Twitter started testing a 280-character limit for a set number of users around the globe, courting concern from users who were anxious that banishing brevity would clog up their timelines.
The company says 9 percent of tweets written in English hit the 140-character limit.
Koenigsegg Agera RS becomes the world's fastest production auto
Boutique Swedish supercar brand, Koenigsegg, has stolen the title from Bugatti as the world's fastest vehicle maker. It recently announced that the successor to the Venom GT, the 1600-bhp Venom F5 , could break the 300-mph limit.
Users tweeting in Chinese, Japanese and Korean will still have the original limit. Twitter says "cramming" is an issue that affects most languages, where certain ideas are unable to be expressed in 140 characters because of the length of some words.
The company didn't disclose how many users have been testing the longer tweets.
"This reflects the challenge of fitting a thought into a tweet, often resulting in lots of time spent editing and even at times abandoning tweets before sending", Ms Rosen said. During its five-week or so test run, Twitter found that just 5% of the tweets from those users were actually longer than 140 characters, with 2% pushing 190 characters. It was a temporary effect and didn't last long. "We'll definitely see some of this novelty effect spike again with this week's launch and expect it to resume to normal behavior soon after". We'll continue listening and working to make Twitter easier for everyone while making sure we keep what you love.
Twitter.com now supports 280 characters and now a circle progress indicator shows how many characters remain, but it will turn into a number when 20 characters remain.
- I don't know what Priti Patel was thinking, admits Iain Duncan Smith
- Italy legend Pirlo announces retirement from professional football
- Trump Virtually Campaigns For Gillespie From South Korea
- Marvel Comments On Brian Michael Bendis' Departure
- Pulwama encounter: Nephew slain, Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar next?
- No Melbourne Cup Day rate cut for RBA
- Google Search and Maps Now Show You Estimated Wait Times at Restaurants
- Sleep deprivation impairs you as much as being drunk
- TJ Dillashaw: Demetrious Johnson can't run from fight now
- Pueblo officials confirm first two flu cases of the this season